You Should Run Two Guitar Amps! [But Make One Dirty]
Published 29 Oct 2021
Dan has recently changed the way he approaches a two-amp electric guitar rig. Here’s how…
Life too short for long YouTube videos? Please see the ‘Interesting bits and go-to sections’ information below.
Welcome to the show! In this episode we revisit the theme of running two amps. It’s something Dan and I do pretty much all the time, either in a wet-dry scenario, full stereo or simple dual mono. It’s a massive sound at any volume, and we recommend that everybody tries it.
To date our approach has always been to select two amps of roughly similar power and headroom characteristics because we want our boosts and overdrives to react in a similar way into both amps. Daniel is tossing all of that into the trash here as he’s making one amp much more overdriven than the other and changing his overdrive pedal signal routing accordingly.
What will we learn?
Enjoy the video!
Pedals & stuff in this episode…
• TheGigRig Three2One
• Sonic Research ST-200 Turbo Tuner
• PigDog London Dirty Mac Treble Booster
• Kingsley Page Tube Boost
• Lauren Audio Mustang
• Greer Amps Lightspeed
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2KUP6rq
• Free The Tone Future Factory RF Phase Modulated Delay
UK & Europe: https://bit.ly/3oFVZ4j
• Diamond VIB1 Vibrato
• JAM Pedals Harmonious Monk
UK & Europe: https://bit.ly/3pEkgHC
• Chase Bliss Audio CXM 1978 Reverb
UK & Europe: https://bit.ly/31U6LKu
• TheGigRig G3
* Why do we have preferred retailer links? Find out here: http://www.thatpedalshow.com/partners
Interesting bits and go-to sections…
0:00 Intro & playing
3:08 Dan’s two-amp revelation
5:35 Lazy J 20 in a new way
8:00 Lazy J tones
9:59 Matchless tones
11:30 Lazy J & Matchless together
13:30 Delay to both amps, or just one?
17:10 Kingsley Page into both amps
18:40 Amp split before or after overdrives?
21:30 Treble booster in the Lazy J only?
25:48 Two different reverbs, two amps
33:00 Swap the Matchless for a Princeton
36:00 Princeton & Lazy J 20
38:20 Let’s attenuate the Princeton
44:55 What have we learned?
Guitars in this episode:
• Fender American Vintage ’62 Stratocaster – Mick’s video here http://bit.ly/2qVOTyJ
• 1965 Fender Telecaster – no video yet
Amps in this episode
• Matchless HC30 with ESD 212 cab, 1 x Celstion G12M Greenback, 1 x Celestion G12H Anniversary
• Lazy J 20
• Fender ’65 Princeton Reverb
• Palmer PDI06 Attenuator
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2hjWu5T
We hope you enjoy this episode. Please subscribe to our channel.
You can buy TPS merch to support our efforts https://www.thatpedalshowstore.com
We are on Patreon – crowdfunding for creatives