You're Using Your Boss DS-1 All Wrong! [No Really, You Are]
Published 22 Oct 2021
It’s over 40 years old and it’s still amazing. But are you using it all wrong?
Life too short for long YouTube videos? Please see the ‘Interesting bits and go-to sections’ information below.
Welcome to the show! I have to say I wasn’t looking forward to this one – Mick here, hello. But dear Daniel, resilient, courageous and overflowing with enthusiasm, managed to convince me it was worth it.
For the venerable Boss DS-1 is over 40 years young and it has been purchased more than any other guitar effects pedal, like, ever, at least according to the information we have. How can so many people be wrong?
Thusly, armed with only a real vintage one, a new one, a couple of classic amps and a RAT for good measure, we charge onto the field of battle and cry, "They can take my dignity, but they’ll never take my distortion!" (And it better be a DS-1, Wallace.)
Confused by the noise/hiss at 11:02 ?
Whats the deal with the noise up and down? When we’re talking, you’re hearing the voice mics above our heads which are gained WAAAY higher than the amp mics, so you hear the hiss from the amps unrealistically loud. When we’re playing, you’re hearing the mics on the amps and some separate room mics that are gained way, way, way lower. It's really obvious when we fade the voice mics up and down, and that's what we're hearing. We never use any sort of noise cancelling software on the amp mics. Cheers!
Enjoy the video!
Pedals & stuff in this episode…
• TheGigRig Three2One
• Sonic Research ST-200 Turbo Tuner
• 1980 Boss DS-1 Distortion
No longer available new
• Boss DS-1 Distortion
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2EKGMZl
• ProCo The Rat
No longer available new, links to Rat 2
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2Tmovw3
• Diamond Memory Lane Jr
• Catalinbread Topanga Spring Reverb
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2mj3leK
• TheGigRig G3
* Why do we have preferred retailer links? Find out here: http://www.thatpedalshow.com/partners
Interesting bits and go-to sections…
2:00 How many?
3:00 Amps for today
3:45 Let’s go back to 1978
7:45 Difference between distortion & fuzz
9:26 Let's have a listen
13:50 DS-1 pick attack
14:45 DS-1, clean Deluxe Reverb
19:10 That Deluxe needs to be turned up
20:20 Why have we ignored the DS-1 for so long?
21:10 The difference between the DS-1 and modern distortion units
24:40 Both amps, New Vs Old DS-1
30:55 How close are they?
32:40 Modder's delight
33:50 All hail the ’61 Les Paul Junior
35:30 Don’t forget the pedal volume changes the tone
36:45 DS-1 Vs RAT quiet, Deluxe
38:30 DS-1 Vs RAT into LOUD Marshall
41:10 DS-1 into LOUD Deluxe
43:10 Boosting the RAT with the DS-1
48:20 Jason Isbell Telecaster
49:20 Huber Krauster II
50:40 Epiphone Casino
55:34 Final thoughts
Guitars in this episode:
• Fender American Vintage ’62 Stratocaster – Mick’s video here http://bit.ly/2qVOTyJ
• 1965 Fender Telecaster – no video yet
• Gibson Custom 1958 Les Paul Standard – Dan’s video here: https://youtu.be/UrmPhw_8vpg
• Ibanez JEM Jr - no video yet
• 1961 Gibson Les Paul Junior – Dan's video here: https://youtu.be/0CORolxVmeY
• Fender Classic Series Jazzmaster Lacquer – no video yet
• Epiphone Casino – Mick's video here: https://youtu.be/ubwr6Owqp_E
• Nik Huber Krautster II – Dan's video here: https://youtu.be/hIruLGXgJuU
• Fender Custom Shop ’63 Telecaster – Dan's video here: https://youtu.be/rnQ4OIJFTgY
Fender Custom Shop ’52 Telecaster (2001) - Dan’s video here: https://youtu.be/qfLs2rAWYEU
Gibson Custom True Historic ’57 Les Paul Murphy Aged - no video yet
Gibson Memphis 1958 ES-335 (2017) - Mick’s video here: https://youtu.be/Ha82vk1wLyA
Amps in this episode
• Marshall 1987x & 1960Ax cab with Celestion G12M Greenback speakers
• Fender ’65 Deluxe Reverb with standard speaker
We hope you enjoy this episode. Please subscribe to our channel.
You can buy TPS merch to support our efforts https://www.thatpedalshowstore.com
We are on Patreon – crowdfunding for creatives