Why Choose An Analog Delay Pedal? [Suhr Discovery, J Rockett Clockwork, Mythos Oracle & Memory Man]
Published 3 Sept 2021
Why on Earth would you choose a new analogue delay in 2021? Here’s why…
Life too short for long YouTube videos? Please see the ‘Interesting bits and go-to sections’ information below.
Welcome to the show! It’s our first ride back in the saddle after a vacation so we thought we’d hit the trail in Old-School TPS style.
Suhr, J Rockett and Mythos all launched really cool analogue delay pedals in 2021. These three range from super simple to incredibly feature-rich. So in this video we take a look at each, taking in a few classics for context.
In case you are confused, all the pedals here have an entirely analogue signal path, except for the Strymon TimeLine which uses digital modelling to recreate those analogue sounds.
The drives all come before the delays in the signal path, just for the record.
Enjoy the video!
Pedals & stuff in this episode…
• TheGigRig Three2One
• Sonic Research ST-200 Turbo Tuner
• Lauren Audio Mustang
• Cornerstone Gladio SC
UK & Europe: https://bit.ly/3tafYe0
• Hamstead Comet Interstellar Driver
UK & Europe: https://bit.ly/3gYoTKX
• Electro-Harmonix Deluxe Memory Man (no longer made)
• Ibanez AD-80 Delay (no longer made)
• Mythos Oracle Analog Delay
UK & Europe: https://bit.ly/3BDK250
• J Rockett Clockwork Echo
• Suhr Discovery Analog Delay
UK & Europe: https://bit.ly/3BGK8IP
• Strymon TimeLine
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2fzulGD
• Dunlop Mini Volume X (used as expression pedal)
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2QLS44K
• TheGigRig G3
* Why do we have preferred retailer links? Find out here: http://www.thatpedalshow.com/partners
Interesting bits and go-to sections…
0:00 Intro & playing
2:11 Why use an analogue delay these days?
3:30 Bucket Brigade explanation
5:45 It all starts with the Deluxe Memory Man (for us)
8:04 Today’s new delays, overview
11:12 Today’s amps
13:00: Deluxe Electric Mistress sounds
16:08 J Rockett Clockwork overview
17:28 Clockwork sounds, clean
21:54 Clockwork level control & DEM input
24:24 Clockwork modulation
28:19 Memory Man & Clockwork with overdrive
31:44 Short delays & mod for flange/chorus
32:54 Darker tones with Ibanez AD-80?
35:20 Mythos Oracle Analog Echo overview
37:37 Mythos Oracle sounds
44:20 Dan’s manual modulation
46:25 Suhr Discovery overview
49:35 Suhr Discovery MIDI
51:53 Suhr Discovery sounds
1:00:52 Suhr Discover & TimeLine comparison
1:05:01 Suhr Discover & Memory Man comparison
1:07:57 Concluding thoughts
Guitars in this episode:
• Fender Custom Shop ’63 Telecaster (2001) - Dan’s video here: https://youtu.be/qfLs2rAWYEU
• Gibson Memphis 1958 ES-335 (2017) - Mick’s video here: https://youtu.be/Ha82vk1wLyA
• Fender American Vintage ’59 Stratocaster (2012) - no video yet
Amps in this episode
• Tone King Imperial MkII & 112 cab
• Victory VC35 The Copper & VC212 cab with 1 x Celestion G12 Greenback and 1 x Celestion G12H Anniversary
We hope you enjoy this episode. Please subscribe to our channel.
You can buy TPS merch to support our efforts https://www.thatpedalshowstore.com
We are on Patreon – crowdfunding for creatives