Wet-Dry Guitar Tones In A Single Cab? [Warning - May Contain ’80/90s Power Amps & EVs]
Published 15 April 2022
Welcome to the show! Mick here, hello. So I’ve been on this quest of sorts… that began with a pedalboard build we did all the way back in March 2017. The idea was using pedal-format valve preamps feeding a power section. That power section could be via the effects loop return in something like a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, for example – or any amp for that matter – or it could be a dedicated power amp.
What then followed was a chance encounter with a Mesa/Boogie rackmount power amp and, much later, a mid-’80s Mesa/Boogie 212 with EVM-12L speakers. All of which leads us to ‘modern’ pedals and board, but with an amp/speaker solution resurrected from times past.
Right, ready? Enjoy the video!
And please visit That Pedal Shop https://www.thatpedalshop.com/
Pedals & stuff used in this video
• Schmidt-Array SA-550 XDM
• Dan Drive Secret Machine
Find Dan Drive on Instagram
• Ibanez TS808 Tube Screamer [this one is a Keeley mod from 2014]
UK & Europe: https://bit.ly/3vBR2ht
USA Sweetwater: https://imp.i114863.net/YgP13R
• Kingsley Maiden D Preamp
• Kingsley Paso Doble [not available, link to Page TS which is very similar //and// more versatile]
• JAM Pedals Ripply Fall
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2PoxKu0
USA That Pedal Shop: https://bit.ly/3y0Ez7P
• Free The Tone FF-1Y Future Factory
UK & Europe: https://bit.ly/3oFVZ4j
• JAM Pedals Harmonious Monk
UK & Europe:https://bit.ly/3rrB6xR
USA That Pedal Shop: https://bit.ly/3p4En2Z
• Chase Bliss Audio CXM1978 Reverb
UK & Europe: https://bit.ly/31U6LKu
• TheGigRig G3 Atom
Interesting bits & go-to sections
0:00 What are we doing today?
1:15 The rack’s last dance?
2:09 5050 amp wet/dry?
3:00 New-old Mesa 212
3:50 Stage space?
4:30 Mick’s pedalboard explanation
8:00 Why not full stereo?
10:30 Is this just an effects loop?
11:48 Signal path diagram
14:14 Mesa cab investigation
15:45 EV model codes?
17:00 Measuring speaker impedance
21:40 2 separate 1x12 cabs
23:40 Dan enjoys some clean headroom
24:37 Fun with bigger reverb
26:34 Dry side only & wet-dry
28:28 Cascaded valve overdrive
33:28 Dan gets his gain on
36:40 Let’s try some humbuckers
38:50 And now the Mesa 212!
43:20 Dry bottom only & wet-dry
46:25 What do we think so far?
47:53 Adding a Tube Screamer
50:35 Too much for the mod pedals?
51:30 Clarity and detail and headroom
54:45 Adding a fuzz
58:00 Closing thoughts
Guitars in this episode:
• 1965 Fender Telecaster - no video yet
• Fender Custom Shop ’62 Relic Stratocaster - Mick’s video here: https://youtu.be/amCnjNQCmiE
• Gibson Custom True Historic ’57 Les Paul Goldtop, Murphy Aged - no video yet
Amps & cabs in this episode:
• Mesa/Boogie 50/50 Stereo Power Amp - no longer made, I found this on Reverb.com
• Zilla Custom 1x12 cabs with Celestion G12H-75 Creamback and WGS12L speakers
• Zilla Custom 412 with no speakers
• 1980s Mesa/Boogie 212 Extension Cab with 2 x EVM-12L speakers
We hope you enjoy this episode. Please subscribe to our channel.
You can buy TPS merch to support our efforts https://www.thatpedalshowstore.com
We are on Patreon – crowdfunding for creatives