UA Starlight Vs Classics & Our Delay Pedal Faves
Published 21 May 2021
Universal Audio has made a stellar new delay, but does it stand up to the classics?
Life too short for long YouTube videos? Please see the ‘Interesting bits and go-to sections’ information below.
Welcome to the show! The veritable recording legend that is Universal Audio has raised its gaze from the mixing desk and put its considerable know-how into an all-new range of guitar effects pedals.
The Starlight Echo Station is the first in our sights, so in this video we compare it to a real tape echo (albeit not the actual one it is modelled on) and an original Electro Harmonix Deluxe Memory Man to see what’s what. For good measure we add a couple of perennial modern faves for interest.
Please note: Yes, we know the Fulltone Tube Tape Echo is not an EP-3. But it’s the closest thing we have. As we mention many times in the video.
Enjoy the show!
Gear in this episode…
• TheGigRig Three 2 One
• Sonic Research ST-300 Turbo Tuner
• J Rockett APE
UK & Europe: https://bit.ly/34gfUx1
• Keeley D&M Drive
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2oTblU1
• Fulltone Custom Shop Tube Tape Echo
• Electro-Harmonix Deluxe Memory Man
No longer made
• Catalinbread Belle Epoch Deluxe
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2mORqUL
• Empress Echo System
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2x5i4z4
• Universal Audio Starlight Echo Station
UK & Europe: https://bit.ly/3wstbQ3
• TheGigRig G3
• Two-Rock Classic Reverb Signature & 112 cab with WGS12L speaker
• Tone King Imperial MkII
USA: Combo: https://imp.i114863.net/qnzaQ5
USA: Head: https://imp.i114863.net/jWe9xe
• 1965 Fender Telecaster - no specific video yet
• 2001 Fender American Vintage ’62 Stratocaster – Mick’s video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSFjihiy2VE
• Gibson Custom True Historic 1957 Les Paul Custom Murphy Aged
• 2016 Epiphone Casino (Lollar P90 pickups) - Mick’s video – https://youtu.be/ubwr6Owqp_E
• Fender Classic Series ’60s Jazzmaster Lacquer
Interesting bits and go-to sections
0:00 Intro playing
2:28 What are we doing today?
4:30 Four delay machines modelled
5:45 Dan’s Neil Finn Memory Man
9:27 Starlight three tape modes
11:00 UA app & analog dry through
12:03 Starlight & Fulltone comparison
15:17 Bypassed tone change?
16:55 J Rockett APE & Starlight
19:00 Tape echo sounds & Les Paul
27:02 Belle Epoch Deluxe & Starlight
34:00 …and tape echo
35:00 Deluxe Memory Man sounds
40:14 Starlight & Memory Man sounds
44:00 …with drive & self oscillation
50:35 Empress EchoSystem
55:19 Talk about Starlight Stereo
58:10 Starlight stereo sounds
1:02:03 Dan Jazzmaster Schwang!
1:06:30 Closing thoughts & roundup
We hope you enjoy this episode. Please subscribe to our channel.
You can buy TPS merch to support our efforts https://www.thatpedalshowstore.com
We are on Patreon – crowdfunding for creatives