Time To Record A Song? – Mick’s Vlog
Published 26 March 2021
Buried deep under this gear obsession is a love of actual music. Can Mick reignite it by bringing this song demo to fruition?
Welcome to the show! In this episode I decide to demo up a song I wrote a while back. Starting with the drums, the track builds up with bass, some electric and acoustic guitar parts and finally vocals.
Now this can be a super simple process… or it can be incredibly labour intensive. And guess which route I tend to take?!
Oh dear, no matter. However you approach it, the hope is that by engaging your mind and soul into something creative, your life will be enriched with peace and balance. Erm, or you get terribly stressed and want to give up forever.
All this and more is explored in the video – please enjoy it!
Pedals & stuff in this episode (signal order info below)…
NOTE: THE TOM MORELLO STORY – THE PRODUCER WAS BRENDAN O’BRIEN NOT RICK RUBIN!
• Schmidt Array SA525 pedalboard
• Dan Drive Secret Machine
Find Dan on Facebook and Instagram
• Mythos Argo Octave Fuzz
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2UT0EVw
• Ibanez Tube Screamer TS808 (Keeley plus mod)
No longer available
• Klon Centaur Professional Overdrive
Mainly available used. Also find Bill Finnegan on eBay
• JAM Pedals Harmonious Monk
UK & Europe: https://bit.ly/3pEkgHC
• Origin Effects Cali76 Stacked Edition
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2vMuSdG
• Free The Tone Future Factory FF-1Y RF Phase Modulated Delay
UK & Europe: https://bit.ly/3oFVZ4j
• Chase Bliss Audio CXM1978
UK & Europe: https://bit.ly/31U6LKu
• TheGigRig G3 Atom
* Why do we have preferred retailer links? Find out here: http://www.thatpedalshow.com/partners
Interesting bits and go-to sections…
- Woof! Intro: 00:00
- In a slump?: 00:42
- The song: 03:20
- Join me in meditation: 05:25
- Getting going with drums: 05:50
- Guide vocal?: 08:32
- Monday morning, let’s go!: 10:08
- Bass parts: 11:30
- Acoustic guitar, mic & channel strip: 13:44
- …and a capo part: 15:25
- Listening back to the acoustic tones : 16:20
- And the actual acoustic parts: 19:50
- Electric guitars and pedalboard: 22:10
- Compressor or Tube Screamer?: 24:10
- Recorded Collings electric: 25:25
- Argghhh, slide!: 27:06
- Vocals!: 30:05
- Warming up the voice: 31:28
- Oh no, he’s singing!: 32:56
- Backing vocals: 34:41
- Post-recording thoughts: 37:44
- Thanks to Joey!: 39:42
- Working alone vs working together: 40:50
- Performance or tone?:43:38
- Tom Morello story (it was Brendan O’Brien, not Rubin): 44:26
- The track, finally (nope, no visuals): 43:23
Guitars in this episode:
• Collings CJ35 – https://www.collingsguitars.com/acous...
• Lakland Skyline bass – no longer made
• Collings 360LT with Lollar Gold Foil pickups – https://www.collingsguitars.com/elect...
• 2016 Supro Jamesport – no longer made
Amps, mics and stuff in this episode
• Two-Rock Classic Reverb Signature with 212 cab / TR1265B speakers – https://www.two-rock.com/classic-reverb/
• Neumann TLM102 (acoustic guitar)
UK & Europe: https://bit.ly/3tUwxda
• Austrian Audio OC18 (guitar amp)
UK & Europe: https://bit.ly/2QGwOCi
• Groove Tubes GT67 mic - no longer made
• Universal Audio Apollo Twin X Quad interface and plugins
UK & Europe: https://bit.ly/2UR6FjC
We hope you enjoy this episode. Please subscribe to our channel.
You can buy TPS merch to support our efforts https://www.thatpedalshowstore.com
We are on Patreon – crowdfunding for creatives