That Pedal Show – The Vox AC15: Different Drive Pedals, Guitars And A Bit Of Wet-Dry Too
Published on Oct 13, 2017
If you're here for clean sounds, skip to 47:50. Otherwise…
In this video we spend some time with the Vox AC15 Custom, Vox’s latest (as of 2017) incarnation of its venerable AC15 amplifier that was first introduced in 1958. The amp differs from those originals in a number of ways, perhaps most notably in that it has a master volume setup, making it a popular choice for home and small gigs.
However, there are a lot of people who are of the opinion that AC15s (and 30s for that matter) don’t take pedals ‘well’, perhaps as a result of their overdrive, compression and headroom characteristics. So here we urge you to rethink that point of view – we think it’s a great pedal amp… if these are the sounds you seek!
To whit, we run through a bunch of common and not-so common dirt pedals to see what we can discover.
We finish off by trying the AC15 in a wet/dry configuration alongside the tiny (but loud) MV50 Clean.
Enjoy the video…
Pedals in this episode…
• TheGigRig Three2One
• Proanalog Devices MKIV Fuzz
• Crowther Audio Hot Cake
• Ibanez Tube Screamer Mini
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2dRVXa2
• Fulltone OCD
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2dhU2ro
• Hudson Electronics Broadcast
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2iF2DrE
• Ibanez Mini Chorus
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2yHspVl
• Walrus Audio ARP-87 Delay
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2ggMzuK
• GFI System Specular Tempus
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2goLAbV
• D’Addario Chromatic Pedal Tuner
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2tIN4lD
• TheGigRig Humdinger
• The GigRig G2
* Why do we have preferred retailer links? Find out here: http://www.thatpedalshow.com/partners
Interesting bits and go-to sections…
- Intro & background: 00:00
- Breathing? And yoga? 1:00
- We’re teetering towards the subject now: 4:13
- Ah, no. Dan’s interesting original AC30 tangent: 5:14
- But what about ampcam, Triad Orbit & GuitCon? 6:58
- Dan’s first ever play through a modern AC15: 7:56 (normal channel)
- …with a bit of Walrus Audio ARP-87 delay: 9:25
- Chime – single coils and humbuckers: 10:10
- And the Top Boost channel: 14:05
- Can you use both inputs at once? 17:19
- But Vox amps aren’t good pedal platforms, right?
- … Let’s start with FUZZ: 18:44
- The other pedals we’re using: 21:30
- Normal and Top Boost channels with fuzz: 22:50
- And with the amp quieter? 24:20
- Hudson Broadcast: 26:05
- Broken filthy gain: 30:10
- Crowther Audio Hot Cake: 32:36
- Ibanez Tube Screamer Mini: 34:49
- Fulltone OCD: 36:49
- Plosive May Treble Booster: 39:20
- Adding another amp and wet/dry possibilities. LOVELY CLEANS FINALLY! 47:50
Guitars in this episode
• Fender Custom Shop ’63 Telecaster – watch Dan’s video at http://bit.ly/2dlZJ6K
• Fender American Vintage ’62 Stratocaster – watch Mick’s video at http://bit.ly/2cQv3yT
• Gibson Custom 1958 Les Paul Standard – watch Dan’s video at http://bit.ly/2dlZJ6K
• Duesenberg Bonneville – https://duesenberg.de/en/guitars/bonn...
Amps in this episode:
• Vox AC15 C1 X (Celestion Alnico Blue speaker)
• Vox MV50 Clean (Custom Zilla cab with 2 x Celestion Alnico Gold speakers)
We hope you enjoy this video. Please subscribe to our channel.
You may even want to buy a T-shirt to support our efforts https://www.thatpedalshowstore.com
We are also on Patreon – crowdfunding for creatives
Please visit our preferred retailers!
UK & Europe: Andertons Music http://bit.ly/2cRvIvt
Australia: Pedal Empire http://bit.ly/2mWmJQf