That Pedal Show – Real Leslie Cabinet vs Neo Ventilator II, EHX Lester G & Strymon Lex
Published on Mar 17, 2017
In this episode we compare a genuine Leslie speaker cabinet with modern pedals designed to emulate it. The Leslie we’re using is an HL-822 model. There have been many made over the years, some valve, some solid-state and no doubt they all sound different. This is a solid-state one that we were very kindly loaned by Darren from the Vic in Swindon, UK. https://www.thevicswindon.com/get/main
We start with a good listen to the Leslie before diving into the pedals to see what we can learn. The three new pedals are set up to run in stereo, which is pretty much essential if you want to get an authentic Leslie sound happening out of a normal guitar amp.
No, we couldn’t find a Hughes & Kettner Tube Rotosphere, not least because it’s discontinued. But they are exceptionally good, just for the record!
We mic'd the Leslie with 2 x Rode NT-5 condensers (panned left and right) and a single Sennheiser e906. It's probably not the ultimate choice of mics, but hey, it's what we had available... you get the idea pretty well!
Pedals in this episode…
Electro Harmonix Lester G
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2mzfmeb
Strymon Lex Rotary
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2mzgn5T
Neo Instruments Ventilator II
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2mBM7s2
Boss BD-2 Blues Driver
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2nuCD65
Xotic BB Preamp
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2mPFO55
Option 5 Destination Rotation SIngle
Only available used
Sonic Research ST-300 Turbo Tuner
The GigRig G2: http://bit.ly/2h8xSay
* Why do we have preferred retailer links? Find out here: http://www.thatpedalshow.com/partners
Interesting bits and go-to sections…
• Intro and background: 00:00-2:06
• What is a Leslie cabinet? 2:06
• Slow and fast speeds of our Leslie: 3:40
• Don’t mention the Doppler effect: 4:44
• How have we got the Leslie set up and mic’d today? 6:27
• Why stereo is important / today’s pedals and amps: 8:45
• Neo Instruments Ventilator II sounds & discussion: 10:00
• Leslie and Ventilator A/B compared: 15:13 (and again at 16:50)
• … and with overdrive? 17:40
• Electro-Harmonix Lester G sounds & discussion: 19:00
• Lester and Leslie A/B compared: 22:15
• Strymon Lex sounds & discussion: 23:35
• Strymon & Leslie A/B compared: 25:50
• What is that guitar, Mick? 27:17
• Lex & Ventilator A/B sounds: 28:00
• The inevitable Cold Shot and other random SRV moments: 31:05
• And what about stereo vs mono? 36:00
Amps in this episode
• Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III combo
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2nuCUpj
• Marshall 1987x with 1960AX 4x12 cabinet
UK & Europe: https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/1987X-0...
Guitars in this episode
• Duesenberg Fullerton Elite - https://www.duesenberg.de/en/guitars/...
• Fender Custom Shop ’63 Telecaster – watch Dan’s video at http://bit.ly/2dlZJ6K
• Fender American Vintage ’62 Stratocaster – watch Mick’s video at http://bit.ly/2cQv3yT
We hope you enjoy this video. Please subscribe to our channel.
You may even want to buy a T-shirt to support our efforts https://www.thatpedalshowstore.com
We are also on Patreon – crowdfunding for creatives
Please visit our preferred retailers if you want to buy shiny new things!
UK & Europe: Andertons Music http://bit.ly/2cRvIvt
Australia: Pedal Empire http://bit.ly/2mWmJQf