That Pedal Show – Harmonic Tremolo, Joey Landreth & Associated Awesomeness
Published on Aug 11, 2017
In this episode we take a fun journey through the subject of vintage harmonic tremolo. Along the way we take in a couple of cool new OD/fuzz pedals on Joey Landreth’s new board.
Hang on… did somebody say Joey Landreth? Oh yeah, he’s in this video too. If you don’t know who he is, head to iTunes/Spotify/wherever right now! Or www.joeylandreth.com
The harmonic tremolo effect featured in a handful of Fender amps from the early/mid sixties. It differs from ‘normal’ amplitude-varying tremolo in that different frequencies of signal are modulated in slightly different ways. It gives a slightly more modulated, almost swirling sound that you can hear put to incredible effect in this video.
To whit, we compare the in-built harmonic trem from a genuine 1960 Fender Super with a Walrus Audio Monument pedal version as an intro to the whole deal.
Also in this video is a lovely 1966 Fender Twin, but we swap that out fora Victory V40 Deluxe and get some crazy dual-tremolo action going (we couldn’t turn the Twin’s tremolo on properly – arrrghhh!).
MASSIVE thanks to Jack at Origin Effects for bringing the old amps along.
MASSIVE thanks to Joey Landreth for being Joey Landreth.
We also would like to send some MASSIVE thanks to Tom Waterman from Universal Audio, for help with our continuing experiments to sound better, here courtesy of an Apollo 8p interface running some Neve and SSL channel amplifier/strip plug ins. Mmmmmm.
Pedals in this episode…
– TC Electronic PolyTune 2
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2jKaukT
– KingTone Guitar Jesse Davey Fuzz
– Electro-Harmonix Freeze Nano
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2vFxlYY
Australia: http://bit.ly/2wIHDnX (JHS modded version)
– Mythos Mjolnir Overdrive
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2wIFcSA
– Walrus Audio 385 Overdrive
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2vFIvwZ
– KingTone Guitar The Duellist
– J Rocket Audio Boing Reverb
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2wIuIT7
– Chicago Iron Tychobrahe Octavian
– Origin Effects SlideRig Compact Deluxe
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2fIChER
– Fishman Aura Spectrum DI
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2kYAo9U
– Walrus Audio Monument
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2upuijX
– Strymon TimeLine
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2fzulGD
– The GigRig G2: http://bit.ly/2h8xSay
* Why do we have preferred retailer links? Find out here: http://www.thatpedalshow.com/partners
Interesting bits and go-to sections…
- Harmonic tremolo bliss out: 00:00
- Intro & background: 01:40
- What is a brownface Fender? 04:00
- And blackface and tweed? 06:10
- What’s new on Joey’s board? 07:35
- KingTone Guitar Jesse Davey Duellist: 9:40
- Duellist & Jesse Davey Fuzz: 13:10
- Walrus 385 Overdrive: 14:44
- Tremolo… finally: 17:25
- Walrus Audio Monument regular tremolo: 18:15
- Harmonic tremolo explanation: 19:14
- 1960 Fender Super tremolo: 19:55
- Monument Trem harmonic tremolo & 1960 Fender Super tremolo: 23:50
- What about the phase of the amps? 26:10 & 27:00
- How does Joey use the harmonic trem? 30:15
- Let’s have a change of amp: 32:00
- Victory V40 Deluxe: 32:38
- Fender Super & Victory V40 Deluxe: 33:08
- Dan’s amazing double trem experiment: 33:53
- Eh, what’s happening there? 36:50
- The most awesome sound of 2017 so far… 37:20
- Joey plays us out: 40:35
Amps in this episode
- 1960 Fender Super
- Victory V40 Deluxe head and V212VC cabinet
Guitars in this episode
- Collings I-35LC www.colingsguitars.com
We hope you enjoy this video. Please subscribe to our channel.
You may even want to buy a T-shirt to support our efforts https://www.thatpedalshowstore.com