So You Wanna Hear This Old Hiwatt With A Few Guitars & Pedals?
Published 4 Jun 2021
It’s one of the most revered guitar amps of all time. And now we have the right cab. Or do we?
Life too short for long YouTube videos? Please see the ‘Interesting bits and go-to sections’ information below.
Welcome to the show! In this episode Dan and I revisit our beloved Hiwatt DR103 Custom 100 guitar amplifier head from 1973, because – gasp – we managed to find the ‘Gilmour spec’ 4x12 cab to go with it! Erm, except we didn’t, which is all revealed in the video.
Anyway, we were basically looking for any excuse to fire up the old beast and hammer through it with a bunch of guitars and pedals. So that’s what we’re doing.
Please enjoy the episode!
Pedals & stuff in this episode…
Signal order for the board:
Optimus Machine, HRM, OD9, D&M Drive, split…
Harmonious Monk, then Vent, both to Hiwatt only
Delay and reverb stereo to both amps
(All the drive pedals hit both amps)
TheGigRig G3 Atom takes care of all signal routing, splits wet/dry/parallel and stereo
Optimus Machine and HRM are outside of G3, before loop 1. TS808 is loop 1, D&M Drive is loop 2, Monk in 3, Vent in 4, delay in 5, reverb in 6. Switch numbers are +1. Confusing huh?!
• Schmidt Array SA525 pedalboard
• Boss TU-3S Tuner
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2TN8y1i
• Dan Drive Optimus Machine
Find Dan on Facebook and Instagram
• J Rockett Audio Designs Hot Rubber Monkey
UK & Europe: https://bit.ly/34FICbI
• Maxon OD9 Analgman Mod with Bad Bob Boost
• Keeley D&M Drive
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2oTblU1
• JAM Pedals Harmonious Monk
UK & Europe: https://bit.ly/3pEkgHC
• Neo Instruments Mini Vent II
UK & Europe: Try the Micro Vent too, http://bit.ly/3es67v0
• Free The Tone Future Factory FF-1Y RF Phase Modulated Delay
UK & Europe: https://bit.ly/3oFVZ4j
• Chase Bliss Audio CXM1978
UK & Europe: https://bit.ly/31U6LKu
• TheGigRig G3 Atom
* Why do we have preferred retailer links? Find out here: http://www.thatpedalshow.com/partners
Interesting bits and go-to sections…
0:00 Intro playing
1:52 The story of our Hiwatt
2:44 The 412 cab debacle
5:47 Dan kicks us off with Red
9:20 Mick, Les Paul
10:34 Everything at 2 o’clock
11:20 Bah. No more volume
12:25 Let’s add some pedals then
13:50 J Rockett HRM and D&M Drive OOF!
14:55 Bah. Not loud enough. Add the Marshall
16:50 Dan, 65 Tele and RAWK
18:40 Mick, Gretsch 5422 and some slapback
21:50 Dan, Longbottom T-Style
23:30 Mick, Collings 290DC S
26:55 Dan, Fender Jaguar
28:00 Closing thoughts 1
29:28 Mick, Strat, fuzz
30:40 Closing thoughts
Guitars in this episode:
• Fender American Vintage ’62 Stratocaster – Mick’s vid at: https://youtu.be/5sQUvWHXz74
• Fender Custom Shop ’63 Telecaster – Dan’s vid at: https://youtu.be/rnQ4OIJFTgY
• 1965 Fender Telecaster - no specific vid yet
• 2016 Gretsch 5422TG fitted with TV Jones T-Armond pickups: Mick’s video – https://youtu.be/ubwr6Owqp_E
• Karl Longbottom T-Style – https://karllongbottomguitars.com
• Collings 290DCS – Mick’s video at https://youtu.be/Awy08tngKIs
• Fender American Original ’60s Jaguar - no video yet
Amps in this episode
• 1973 Hiwatt DR103 Custom 100 & Questionable Qab with unknown speakers
• Marshall 1987x and 1960AX 412 with Celestion G12M Greenback speakers
We hope you enjoy this episode. Please subscribe to our channel.
You can buy TPS merch to support our efforts https://www.thatpedalshowstore.com
We are on Patreon – crowdfunding for creatives