Roland Dimension D&C, RE-201 & RE-20 Space Echo… And Matt Schofield! From TGU18
Published on May 25, 2018
In this video we find ourselves at the Thomann Gear University 2018. It was an event held at the retail giant’s headquarters and store in Germany, where a bunch of us descended for a few days to hang out and make videos. We were given the run of the store to use literally anything we wanted.
So, of course Dan and I found two blokes from Boss who came armed with a bunch of discontinued old gems. Old sheeeat – we love it!
First we plug in the sweetest Roland RE-201 Space Echo we’ve ever seen or heard, and compare it to the current Boss RE-20. Then we move on to something absolutely unique: the Boss Dimension D and C devices, famed for their classic take on chorus.
The following day we bumped into Matt Schofield who had a theory about the Dimension D and Stevie Ray Vaughan. So back into filming we went!
What follows is what went down, so we hope you enjoy it.
Before that, a couple of apologies…
First, sorry the pedal cams aren’t better. It was a fast turnaround time with limited options, so we did what we could.
Second, sorry about the clipping audio in places. We tended to play a little louder than the other TGU18 attendees and we caught the engineers a little off guard from time to time…. Nevertheless we thank them MASSIVELY for their help and diligence in what was an extremely hot and fast-moving environment with a whole slew of people in and out. They did a great job and we thank them from the bottom of our hearts!
As for the audio itself. You’re hearing two mic'd guitar amps as the main mix, plus each of those amps through a Universal Audio Ox (right) and a Two-Notes Torpedo Reload (left). The physical, mic’d 1x12 cabs are about 85 per cent of the mix. The remainder is the Ox and the Reload, doing something approaching what our room mics usually do (sorta, kinda) to add a bit of spread. And yes, the direct signals are the ones that are clipping. Doh. See apology 2, above.
Please enjoy the video…
Pedals in this episode…
• TheGigRig Three2One
• Roland RE-201 Space Echo
Only available used
• Boss RE-20 Space Echo
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2INcFS2
• Roland Dimension D Rack Unit
Only available used
• Roland DC-2 Dimension C Compact Pedal
Only available used
• Analog Man Bad Bob Booster
• Mad Professor Twimble
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2LrX1gW
• Keeley D&M Drive
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2oTblU1
• Mad Professor Dual Blue Delay
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2s8OhU0
• TheGigRig G2
Why do we have preferred retailer links? Find out here: http://www.thatpedalshow.com/partners
Interesting bits and go-to sections…
- Intro playing, background and context: 00:00
- What are we doing? And where are we for that matter? 1:24
- Roland RE-201 Space Echo: 2:30
- Playback heads? 4:10
- Today’s amps: 5:12
- Boss RE-20: 9:16
- Controls on the RE-20: 12:35
- Hold down the tap button? 13:55
- Dimension D: what is it? 14:50
- But what about Purple Rain? 17:30
- Dimension C: 18:50
- 24 hours later… Hang on, is that Matt Schofield? 22:10
- Matt’s theory on SRV and the Dimension D: 24:19
- Mad Professor Twimble: 25:17
- Dimension D again. This time with Matt! 28:35 (29:45)
- And with some TS-style gain? 31:10
- Twimble and D&M Drive? 32:25
- Ash guitar in standard, or alder and E flat? 35:00
- Two amps with a short delay? 39:20
- And what about phase? 40:15
- Matt plays us out: 43:40
Guitars in this episode:
• Fender Custom Shop ’59 Telecaster Relic
• Fender Custom Shop LTD ’59 Stratocaster Heavy Relic
• SVL Guitars Reserve (in this case with ash body and hardtail) http://www.svlguitars.com/svl-reserve.html
Amps in this episode (see above for how they are mixed)
Mick and Dan part
• Mad Professor Old School 21RT head and Harley Benton G112 Vintage cabinet and UA OX
• Revv Dynamis head and Harley Benton G112 Vintage cabinet and Two Notes Torpedo Reload
Mick Dan and Matt part (see above for how they are mixed)
• Morgan SW22 head and Harley Benton G112 Vintage cabinet and UA OX
• Laney GH50R head and Harley Benton G112 Vintage cabinet and Two Notes Torpedo Reload
We hope you enjoy this video. Please subscribe to our channel.
You may even want to buy a T-shirt to support our efforts https://www.thatpedalshowstore.com
We are also on Patreon – crowdfunding for creatives