Pedal Preamps, Valve Overdrive, Effects Loops & More With Simon Jarrett Of Kingsley Amps & Pedals
Published 15 Jul 2022
Welcome to the show! Regular viewers will know Simon Jarrett by now. He’s a regular visitor to TPS, bringing incredible guitar playing alongside exceptional tones and knowledge. He also happens to make some of the finest amps and pedals on the planet, so he’s the perfect companion on our never ending sonic quest.
In this episode we get into the nitty-gritty of ‘proper’ valve preamps and the subsequent considerations for the rest of your rig including what you need to think about in effects loops, your amp’s phase inverter/power amp and so on. Insodoing, Simon shows us a couple of his latest creations that are the culmination of many things we’ve discussed over the years.
Thanks as always to Simon and his better half Chrissy for dropping in on their periodic visit to the UK from Canada!
Enjoy the show!
And please visit That Pedal Shop https://www.thatpedalshop.com/
Pedals & gear used in this video
• Schmidt-Array SA-550 XDM
• Boss TU-3S
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2TN8y1i
USA That Pedal Shop: https://bit.ly/3rcyZO7
• Greer Lightspeed Overdrive
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2KUP6rq
USA That Pedal Shop: https://bit.ly/3uL1dAw
• JAM Pedals Harmonious Monk
UK & Europe: https://bit.ly/3rrB6xR
USA That Pedal Shop: https://bit.ly/3p4En2Z
• Klon Centaur Professional Overdrive
No longer available
• Kingsley Juggler V3
• Kingsley Artisan Tube Fuzz/OD
• Free The Tone Tri-Avatar Chorus
UK & Europe: https://bit.ly/3AMnW2Q
• Free The Tone FF-1Y Future Factory
UK & Europe: https://bit.ly/3oFVZ4j
• Chase Bliss Audio CXM1978 Reverb
UK & Europe: https://bit.ly/31U6LKu
• TheGigRig G3 Atom
Interesting bits & go-to sections
0:00 Intro playing
1:45 Welcome Simon!
3:15 Preamps and power amps?
4:40 Juggler V3 introduction: why?
8:25 Dumble ODS circuit explanation
13:02 Juggler V3 sounds
25:00 Lightspeed into Juggler V3
32:40 More Dumble circuit thoughts
34:22 ES-335 & Juggler V3
37:50 Phase inverters and FX loops
53:00 Juggler, Hot Rod Deluxe FX return
1:02:25 Hot Rod Deluxe main input
1:07:50 The Artisan Valve Tone Crafter
Guitars in this episode:
• Gibson Custom True Historic ’57 Les Paul Goldtop, Murphy Aged - no video yet
• 1965 Fender Telecaster - no video yet
• 1961 Fender Stratocaster - no video yet
• Gibson Memphis 1958 ES-335 (2017) - Mick’s video here: http://bit.ly/2kwe7Bn
Amps & cabs in this episode:
• Mesa/Boogie 50/50 Stereo Power Amp - no longer made, I found this on Reverb.com
• 1980s Mesa/Boogie 212 Extension Cab with 2 x EVM-12L speakers
• Fender Hot Rod Deluxe with standard speaker
We hope you enjoy this episode. Please subscribe to our channel.
You can buy TPS merch to support our efforts https://www.thatpedalshowstore.com
We are on Patreon – crowdfunding for creatives