Mick Chooses An Overdrive & A Delay Pedal – How Hard Can It Be?
Published 18 Feb 2022
Welcome to the show! Please excuse the indulgence. I’ve been invited to play and sing at my dear friend Neville’s gig. It’s not just a jam; it’s a fairly ‘serious’ show at a decent venue and Nev has asked me to bring my own amp. So what about pedals? How to choose something appropriate that makes me happy with – and inspired by – my tone… without overcomplicating it or being too overblown?
Dan very graciously helps me walk through a bunch of stuff – I want to end up with just two pedals ideally: one overdrive and one delay. Let’s see what unfolds!
Neville's gig is at Bath Komedia, 27 Feb 2022. Doors at 7:15.
Sorry I forgot the Two-Rock detail shot at 9:50. Ran out of time to fix it.
I mention the TPS recording setup around 4:30. Here are details just in case anything wasn’t clear…
• Sennhesier MKH416 (voice mics)
• Austrian Audio OC18 (cab mics)
• AKG C414 XLII mics (room mics)
• Meris 440 Preamps (for the guitar cab mics)
• Universal Audio Apollo 8p interfaces
• Apple M1 Mac Mini running Apple Logic
Enjoy the show!
And please visit That Pedal Shop! https://www.thatpedalshop.com/
Pedals used in this episode…
• Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive
UK & Europe: https://bit.ly/3EkUFv1
USA That Pedal Shop: https://bit.ly/3EnhrCE
• Keeley-modded Ibanez TS808 (I think it’s the Baked mod. Not true bypass)
No longer available
• Keeley D&M Drive
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2oTblU1
USA That Pedal Shop: https://bit.ly/3ltKAoo
• Kingtone The Duellist
• Cornerstone Gladio Double Preamp
• Gtown Custom Amps HolyGrail DualDrive
• Dunlop JHF1 Fuzz Face Distortion
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2AUTELD
USA That Pedal Shop: https://bit.ly/3pYGlCw
• Thorpy Heavy Water
UK & Europe: https://bit.ly/3zXIi6N
USA That Pedal Shop: https://bit.ly/3u68BGF
• Klon Centaur
No longer made
• J Rockett Clockwork Echo
UK & Europe: https://bit.ly/356sqUq
USA That Pedal Shop: https://bit.ly/3FQb5Mp
• Catalinbread Belle Epoch Deluxe
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2RVldeS
USA That Pedal Shop: https://bit.ly/308PeAy
• TheGigRig QMX4
• D’Addario XPND 2 Double Row Pedalboard
UK & Europe: https://bit.ly/351ki7v
USA That Pedal Shop: https://bit.ly/3sOASQi
Interesting bits and go-to sections…
0:00 What are we doing today?
1:33 Are we overthinking this?
4:30 Current TPS recording setup
7:14 Dan’s finished the test board
9:00 The contenders today
9:45 Recap of Mick’s Two-Rock CRS
11:30 Two-Rock, no pedals, Strat
14:12 Two-Rock with Tele
16:35 What speaker?
17:05 There is more gain…
19:40 Two-Rock settings for pedals
20:14 First overdrive choices
21:02 Let’s make predictions
23:38 TS808 & Boss SD-1 sounds
30:10 D&M Drive sounds & TS808
35:23 Kingtone Duellist & TS808
38:18 Cornerstone Gladio sounds
42:00 We never do this
42:40 Gtown HolyGrail DualDrive sounds
47:52 Delay choices
49:36 Delay pedal sounds
53:09 Delay sounds Mick uses
1:02:34 What about just a Fuzz Face?
1:11:11 TS808 & Klon?
1:16:22 TS808 & Thorpy Heavy Water
1:20:19 Closing thoughts and discussion
1:22:07 Are we overthinking this?
Guitars in this episode:
• Fender Custom Shop ’62 Relic Stratocaster - Mick’s video here: https://youtu.be/amCnjNQCmiE
• Fender Custom Shop ’63 Telecaster – Dan’s video here: https://youtu.be/rnQ4OIJFTgY
• Gibson Memphis 1958 ES-335 – Mick’s video here: https://youtu.be/Ha82vk1wLyA
Amps in this episode:
• Two-Rock Classic Reverb Signature & 112 cabinet / WGS12L speaker
We hope you enjoy this episode. Please subscribe to our channel.
You can buy TPS merch to support our efforts https://www.thatpedalshowstore.com
We are on Patreon – crowdfunding for creatives