Mick’s Vlog – The New Strat Journey Begins (And Pretty Much Ends)
Published on Dec 18, 2018
In this video I reflect on the last few months and the problems I was having with my main guitar… that now seems to be known as ‘Blue’ thanks to the TPS audience!
I’ve been talking about it on the regular Friday and Tuesday shows, and lots of people have asked if I could document some of the journey.
So I’ll try – this is part 1 where I play four guitars back to back and think it over. In part 2 I swap the bridge out on Blue, and in part 3 if I get that far, I’ll swap the pickups out. If you’re looking for a video on ‘what is the best Strat-style guitar?’, this is definitely not for you. If you’re interested in some of the factors that go into why we choose and bond with these ridiculous planks of wood, you might find it more interesting.
One thing I will say… This process has made me even less of a fan of A/B testing and blind listening that I was before. I’m discovering that I can’t play, listen and be objective at the same time. On the subject of which... I'll get asked this a lot, so I'll answer here. Why on earth did I use so much gain in this video? Honestly, I have no idea - listening back, it was a mistake.
Hey ho. Part two might have some better sounds.
Anyhoo, please enjoy the vid. Parts 2 and 3 will be along sometime in December and/or January. Cheers!
Pedals and amps used in this video
• Dunlop EJF1 Eric Johnson Fuzz Face Distortion
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2RWVVfd
• Fulltone Full-Drive1
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2PKpL5a
• Thorpy FX The Dane
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2wLUk32
• Dunlop EP103 Echoplex Delay
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2cQsuNc
• TheGigRig QMX6
* Why do we have preferred retailer links? Find out here: http://www.thatpedalshow.com/partners
• Two-Rock Classic Reverb Signature with Two-Rock 212 cab and TR 1265B speakers
Guitars in this episode:
• Fender American Vintage ’62 Stratocaster (2001): Watch Mick’s video at http://bit.ly/2cQv3yT
• Macmull S-Classic: https://www.macmull-guitars.com/s-classic.html
• Fender John Mayer Signature Stratocaster (2008, no longer made)
• PRS Silver Sky: https://www.prsguitars.com/electrics/bolton/silver_sky
We hope you enjoy this video. Please subscribe to our channel.
You may even want to buy a T-shirt to support our efforts https://www.thatpedalshowstore.com
We are also on Patreon – crowdfunding for creatives