Marshall JTM45 vs 50-Watt Plexi Guitar Amps [2245 or 1987x – Which Would You Choose?]
Published 18 Nov 2022
Two iconic Marshalls - which one would you choose?
Welcome to the show! A very simple proposition today - take two classic Marshalls, give ‘em a hammering and see what’s what.
Both amps are modern reissues: a 2245 JTM45 and a 1987x ‘Plexi’. They are both non-master volume amps that you will hear through the same cabinet. No attenuators, no direct sounds, no cab modelling, no post EQ or plugins – just the amps, speakers and microphones.
Big thanks to our mate Jake Loosemore for selling us the JTM45!
How are you switching the amps?
With a Radial Headbone VT, remote switched via TheGigRig G3 - links below
What is the speaker cabinet?
A Marshall 1960AX 412 with Celestion G12M Greenback speakers
Why two mics?
There’s an Austrian Audio OC18 and an AKG D190e. I recorded them both and mixed them to taste. (Mick here, hello).
There’s also a goodly dose of stereo room mics in the mix - 2 x AKG C414XL.
Why no FX loop discussion for the 1987x?
You can’t use the FX loop when using the Headbone VT
What is that blue guitar at the end?
A lovely chap called Dean Cutler came to a TPS Experience Day recently and brought a couple of his builds. We asked if he would leave one with us. His business is Cutler Custom Guitars, although there’s no formal website yet.
Enjoy the show!
And please visit That Pedal Shop https://www.thatpedalshop.com/
Pedals used in this show
• Sonic Research Turbo Tuner ST-200
• Tru-Fi Two Face
• Boss DS-1W Waza Craft Distortion
UK & Europe: https://bit.ly/3sA09Oe
• ThorpyFX Heavy Water Boost
UK & Europe: https://bit.ly/3zXIi6N
• PRS Wind Through The Trees Dual Analog Flanger
UK & Europe: https://bit.ly/3eJpBhg
• Source Audio Collider Delay & Reverb
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2HwaALt
• The Gigrig G3
• Radial Headbone VT (switching the amps between one cab)
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/3UOBW3q
Interesting Bits & Go-To Sections
0:00 Intro playing
2:57 What are we doing today?
3:33 A bit of history on the two amps
12:05 What are our questions?
13:07 Normal & High Treble channels
13:55 Normal channels sounds
15:40 High Treble channel sounds
16:05 Jumping the channels
20:02 Clean tone & edge of OD JTM45
22:50 Clean tone & edge of OD 1987
26:00: Why no FX loop?
26:35 Clean tones both amps, Strat
27:45 Presence and negative feedback
28:50 Add some delay and reverb
33:35 Both amps on 4
35:20 Bright cap mod?
36:32 JTM45 Les Paul & more gain
38:35 What about a boost?
39:20 Can you put reverb in the front?
41:00 1987x Les Paul & more gain
43:50 Strat & fuzz o’clock
47:35 LP Junior & DS-1, both amps
50:40 S-type with a humbucker?!
52:00 Closing thoughts
Guitars in this video
• 1965 Fender Telecaster - Dan’s video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwBXa...
• Gibson Custom True Historic ’57 Les Paul Goldtop. Murphy Aged - no video yet
• 1961 Fender Stratocaster - Mick’s video here: https://youtu.be/WOMHUQeHGRQ
• 1970 Fender Stratocaster - Mick’s video here: https://youtu.be/WOMHUQeHGRQ
• 1961 Gibson Les Paul Junior - Dan’s video here: https://youtu.be/0CORolxVmeY
• Cutler Custom Guitars Panama Classic
(Dean Cutler came to an Experience Day just recently and left one of his builds with us for a while. We like!)
Amps in this video
• Marshall 1987x
UK & Europe: https://bit.ly/31eVWmc
• Marshall JTM45
• Marshall 1960AX 412 cab with Celestion G12M Greenback speakers
We hope you enjoy this episode. Please subscribe to our channel.
You can buy TPS merch to support our efforts https://www.thatpedalshowstore.com
We are on Patreon – crowdfunding for creatives