Let's Talk About Fender Telecasters [And T-Shaped Objects £139 - £Thousands]
Published 23 Jul 2021
The Telecaster is Dan’s favourite guitar of all time ever. What are the rest of us missing?
Life too short for long YouTube videos? Please see the ‘Interesting bits and go-to sections’ information below.
Welcome to the show! A little while back we did a video on Strats, my favourite guitar (Mick here). You can watch it here: https://youtu.be/-ndkUzSGKNA
After doing that, we received loads of questions asking for a show on Telecasters, Dan’s favourite guitar. So here it is!
A bit like me with Strats, Dan has a fairly narrow aperture of what he wants in a Tele, so don’t be expecting Nashville-three-pickups, four-way switching or anything else that’s too much outside of the vintage formula. That said, we do take in a bunch of guitars across a massive price range that have a variety of timber and pickup differences.
It remains astonishing to us that this thing that debuted in 1950 remains one of the most versatile, expressive and widely used electric guitars across all genres of music – often in largely unchanged form – to this day. Let’s hear it for the Not-So-Humble-Telecaster!
Please enjoy the episode!
Pedals & stuff in this episode…
• TheGigRig Three 2 One
• Sonic Research ST-200 Turbo Tuner
• Analogman Small CompROSSor (with RYCK switch)
• Browne Amplification Protein Dual
UK & Europe: https://bit.ly/2TzGwo6
• Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2dvn8Xy
• JAM Pedals Ripply Fall
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2PoxKu0
• Vahlbruch SpaceTime Echo Delay
• TheGigRig G3
* Why do we have preferred retailer links? Find out here: http://www.thatpedalshow.com/partners
Interesting bits and go-to sections…
0:12 Intro playing
2:28 What are we doing today?
3:40 Why the Tele, Dan?
5:50 When Teles weren’t cool
8:15 Blackguard: where it all began
9:10 1963 spec – Red
10:30 Butters & Red basic sounds
14:47 1965 Tele & Red
18:30 Squier Tele unboxing
21:10 Cheap Squier vs 1965 Tele
25:04 More powerful bridge pickups?
28:08 Fender Standard Tele pickup change
32:40 Neck pickup comparisons
43:10 The in-between funky tone
44:35 Three-saddle intonation
48:54 Comp for country
50:40 Dan plays us out
Guitars in this episode:
• Fender Custom Shop 1963 Telecaster with standard pickups
• Fender Jason Isbell Custom Telecaster with standard pickups
• Fender Custom Shop ’52 Telecaster Heavy Relic with standard pickups
• 1965 Fender Telecaster with rewound ‘50s pickups
• Squier Affinity Telecaster with Ron Ellis 50/60 pickups
• Squier FSR Bullet Telecaster (Limited Edition Purple Metallic) with standard pickups
• Karl Longbottom T16 71 with Creamery Classic ’71 Wide Range Humbuckers
• Fender Standard Telecaster with Bare Knuckle Pickups Cobra T bridge pickup
• G&L Fullerton Deluxe ASAT Special with MFD Pickups
• Fender Highway One Texas Telecaster with Bare Knuckle Pickups Flat ’50 bridge and TV Jones TV Classic neck pickups
• Gray Guitars Admiral T with Lollar 52 T pickups
• Fender American Vintage ’59 Stratocaster with Custom Shop Fat ’60s pickups
Amps in this episode
• Fender ’65 Deluxe Reverb 1x12 combo
• Fender ’65 Princeton Reverb 1x10 combo
We hope you enjoy this episode. Please subscribe to our channel.
You can buy TPS merch to support our efforts https://www.thatpedalshowstore.com
We are on Patreon – crowdfunding for creatives