Let’s Talk About Fender Strats [Sounds, Bridge Setup, Pickups & More]
Published 11 June 2021
Welcome to the show! Goodness this is a long one. I LOVE Fender Strats and I can talk about them quite literally for days. In this video Dan makes the mistake of asking me about them and the absolutely inevitable occurs – a really long and in-depth video. Ha!
Do be aware though that this is all just personal experience and opinion. After 30+ years of playing them – and playing pretty much all of them in terms of spec – I’m not massively interested in powerful pickups, two-point bridges, flat fingerboards, noiseless… in fact pretty much nothing, spec wise, after about 1968. I like the traditional designs so that's my reference point.
Please enjoy the episode!
Want a Strat?
Here are the Five Strats I’d Buy to suit all budgets… (all come in maple neck variants too)
• Squier Classic Vibe ’60s Stratocaster
• Fender Vintera Road Word ’60s Stratocaster
• Fender American Original ’60s Stratocaster
• Fender Custom Shop 1959 Time Machine Heavy Relic Stratocaster
• Fender Custom Shop Michael Landau Signature 1963 Stratocaster
Pedals & stuff in this episode…
Signal order for the board:
Tweedy, Argo, OD9, D&M Drive, split…
Harmonious Monk, then Vent, both to Two-Rock only
Delay and reverb stereo to both amps
(All the drive pedals hit both amps)
TheGigRig G3 Atom takes care of all signal routing, splits wet/dry/parallel and stereo
Tweedy and Argo are outside of G3, before loop 1. TS808 is loop 1, D&M Drive is loop 2, Monk in 3, Vent in 4, delay in 5, reverb in 6. Switch numbers are +1. Confusing huh?!
• Schmidt Array SA525 pedalboard
• Boss TU-3S Tuner
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2TN8y1i
• Dan Drive Tweedy 5E8-A
Find Dan on Facebook and Instagram
• Mythos Argo
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2UT0EVw
• Maxon OD9 Analgman Mod with Bad Bob Boost
• Keeley D&M Drive
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2oTblU1
• JAM Pedals Harmonious Monk
UK & Europe: https://bit.ly/3pEkgHC
• Neo Instruments Mini Vent II
UK & Europe: Try the Micro Vent too, http://bit.ly/3es67v0
• Free The Tone Future Factory FF-1Y RF Phase Modulated Delay
UK & Europe: https://bit.ly/3oFVZ4j
• Chase Bliss Audio CXM1978
• TheGigRig G3 Atom
* Why do we have preferred retailer links? Find out here: http://www.thatpedalshow.com/partners
Interesting bits and go-to sections…
0:00 Intro playing
2:21 What are we doing today?
4:45 Strats in Mick’s world: rosewood
5:50 Are all the guitar heroes Strat players?
8:35 Strats Sound Weedy, Don’t They?
9:15 Today’s amps
10:10 Adding mids with an OD pedal
12:35 Tube Screamer sounds
14:25: …and more with D&M Drive
16:00 Positions 2 & 4
18:15 Tone control on the bridge pickup
25:45 What about volume?
28:30 Dan, Dynamics & John Mayer Strat
35:15 Single coil and JB humbucker compared
39:15 Humbucker and P90 compared
42:20 Bridges & tremolos
45:20 Bridge problems
49:15 String bending vs floating bridge
52:40 More springs, trem on body
54:27 The springs have reverb
57:04 Mick’s fave bridge setup
1:15:00 Neck pickup fun
1:26:50 You can’t bend on a vintage radius
Guitars in this episode:
• Fender American Vintage ’62 Stratocaster – Mick’s vid at: https://youtu.be/5sQUvWHXz74
• Fender American Vintage ’59 Stratocaster - no specific video yet
• Fender John Mayer Signature Stratocaster - no specific video yet
• Fender EOB Stratocaster – Dan’s video at https://youtu.be/FEVMt85GWUc
• Karl Longbottom S-Style - find Karl on Instagram
Amps in this episode
• Two-Rock Custom Reverb Signature 100/50 with 212 cab / TR1265B speakers
Marshall 1987x and Zilla Custom 212 cab with Celestion Alnico Ruby speakers
• We hope you enjoy this episode. Please subscribe to our channel.
You can buy TPS merch to support our efforts https://www.thatpedalshowstore.com
We are on Patreon – crowdfunding for creatives