John Smith At TPS For A Board Build, Guitar Chat & Jaw-Dropping Performances
Published on 21 Jun 2019
Well this was a turn up for the books. Blinking once again into the dawn light of our own ignorance, Dan and I are awakened to the immense talents of Mr John Smith. We have Simon to thank – he and John are friends – for this most auspicious and fortuitous happening.
John’s unique blend of British folk and Americana hits the sweetest of spots on our radar. A fingerstyle master, slide supremo, accomplished songwriter and utterly compelling vocalist, we feel privileged to welcome him to Schwangri-La where we get to hang out, talk guitars, build a board and get treated to our own performance of three songs. It’s a day we’ll never forget… at least until the next time he comes back, which he surely must!
Yes, we know the show was about two hours shorter than it should have been. Children needed to be collected, flights caught and all that life stuff. The important thing was that we got the board built for his tour. He WILL be back!
I’d just like to add – Mick here – all those tracks were first takes, straight out of the gate. Colour us impressed, deeply moved and forever inspired!
For everything John, please head to https://www.johnsmithjohnsmith.com/
The tracks he plays are:
• 'Joanna' (from the album Headlong, 2017)
• 'Winter' (from the album The Fox And The Monk, 2006/2010)
• 'Hares On The Mountain' (from the album Hummingbird, 2018)
Enjoy the episode!
Pedals & stuff in this episode…
• TC Electronic PolyTune 2 Mini
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2jKaukT
• Raven Labs Professional Master Blender II Preamp
No longer made
• RMI Lehle Acouswitch Junior
• Origin Effects SlideRig Compact (links for latest model)
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2XZltfi
• Boss OC-3 Super Octave (fed from the piezo pickup only)
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2pQJrK8
• Strymon El Capistan dTape Echo
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2cVgRPr
• Strymon Blue Sky Reverb
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2wJSNO8
• Strymon Flint Reverb & Tremolo
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2G3EVQ3
* Why do we have preferred retailer links? Find out here: http://www.thatpedalshow.com/partners
Interesting bits and go-to sections…
- Intro playing and intro: 0:00
- John plays Joanna: 2:00
- Rewind to earlier… goofing about with John’s guitars: 5:45
- John’s Fylde Alexander and a bit of DADGAD: 11:40
- John plays Winter: 15:26
- Pedalboard build of sorts: 18:55
- John’s signal chain: 19:35
- John plays some of Hares On The Mountain: 22:30
- New board layout: 23:30
- Back to the show and more board explanation: 26:05
- Folk meets Americana? 30:00
- John plays us out… 33:00
- And plays all of Hares On The Mountain – phew! 33:15
Guitars in this episode:
• Fylde Alexander: https://www.fyldeguitars.com/alexande... (link for standard model)
• Fylde Falstaff: https://www.fyldeguitars.com/falstaff... (link for standard model)
Amps in this episode
• AER Alpha Acoustic Amp http://aer-the-acoustic-people.de/en/...
• Fender ’65 Super Reverb with Jensen P10R speakers https://shop.fender.com/en-GB/guitar-...
• Fender Rumble Stage 800: https://shop.fender.com/en-GB/bass-am...
We hope you enjoy this episode. Please subscribe to our channel.
You can buy TPS merch to support our efforts https://www.thatpedalshowstore.com
We are on Patreon – crowdfunding for creatives
Please visit our preferred retailers!
UK & Europe: Andertons Music http://bit.ly/2cRvIvt
Australia: Pedal Empire http://bit.ly/2mWmJQf