JAM Pedals Harmonious Monk Tremolo Pedal
Published 10 Dec 2020
Our signature tremolo pedal launch video and demo
Welcome friends – this is a momentous day!
Dan and I are absolutely delighted to announce the Harmonious Monk – a collaboration between JAM Pedals from Athens, Greece and That Pedal Show.
The short story is this…
First and foremost, we LOVE the harmonic tremolo/vibrato effect that is found in a tiny number of amps from the 1950s and ’60s. We wanted to create a version of that sound in a convenient pedal format that addressed some of the issues we had with our other favourite examples of the breed.
Thanks to our friendship with Jannis and the JAM Pedals team, it has come be: the Harmonious Monk!
• All-analogue tremolo pedal with both amplitude and harmonic modes
• Master volume knob to enable you to go above and below unity volume
• Depth AND Mix controls so you can get the effect intensity sat perfectly in your tone
• Double-speed switch on the top panel
• Three-band EQ trimmers on the inside for the wet sound
• 35mA current draw, 9V DC
We have 250 in the first batch, on sale at at 9pm GMT Friday 11 December 2020 from https://www.thatpedalshowstore.com/
We have set aside half of those for TPS Patrons preorder which are now all spoken for.
If you miss out, don’t worry. There will be more available from Andertons, Pedal Empire (Australia), JAM Pedals and indeed us in the near future.
Let there be wobble!
What are you actually hearing in this video?
Amps are mic’d with: Sontronics Delta 2 ribbon on the cabs, AKGC414 pair in the room
- The opening playing at the top from Dan is the Harmonious Monk wet/dry with two amps. The Two-Rock has Harmonious Monk, the Matchless is without it. There is also stereo reverb and delay.
- Same deal for Dan’s playing 2:20 - 3:00
- Same deal for Mick’s playing 6:57 - 8:24
- All Mick’s parts in the track at the end use the Marshall instead of the Matchless
- Whenever we are talking about the pedal and demonstrating its features (from 3:15 - 6.40 and 8.45 -10:25), that is straight mono through the Two-Rock amp only.
In the track at the end, every single one of those guitar tones features Harmonious Monk in either Harmonic or Amplitude modes! The guitars/parts to listen out for are:
- Mick plays the Strat in the opening theme. Position 4. Harmonic mode, everything at 2 o’clock on the pedal, subtle waveshape
- Mick plays the Supro Jamesport underneath, clean and picked chords using amplitude mode. It’s tuned down a tone
- Dan does volume swells underneath from 12:30
- Dan plays a solo on the Tele, harmonic mode, 12:47. Mick Supro underneath as above
- Mick does volume swells and feedback on the Collings from around, amplitude 13:18
- Mick plays a harmonised slide and fretted part on the Supro from around 13:37. Harmonic mode
- Mick plays staccato tremolo chords on the Collings as the track kicks off in the fast part at 14:09. Amplitude mode.
- Dan plays the bit you can see on screen (Harmonic), plus a really crazy-fast stutter on the high strings (Amplitude)
- Mick doubles the Collings staccato part from 14:32 (Amplitude)
- Loads of feedback everywhere towards the end. Happy days!
Pedals & stuff in this episode…
• Chase Bliss Automatone MKII Preamp
• Dan Drive Optimus Machine Fuzz
Find DanDrive on Facebook and Instagram
• JAM Pedals Harmonious Monk
UK & Europe: https://bit.ly/3rrB6xR
• Free The Tone FF-1Y Future Factory RF Phase Modulated Delay
UK & Europe: https://bit.ly/3oFVZ4j
• Chase Bliss Audio CXM 1978 Reverb
* Why do we have preferred retailer links? Find out here: http://www.thatpedalshow.com/partners
Guitars in this episode:
• Fender American Vintage ’62 Stratocaster (2001) – Mick’s video at http://bit.ly/2cQv3yT
• Fender Custom Shop 1963 Telecaster (2002) - Dan’s video at http://bit.ly/2dlZJ6K
• Collings 360LT – https://www.collingsguitars.com/electric-guitars/360-lt/
• Supro Jamesport – no longer made
Amps in this episode
• Two Rock Classic Reverb Signature with Two-Rock 212 cabinet / TR 1265B speakers
• Matchless HC-30 with Matchless ESD 212 cabinet / Celestion G12M Greenback & G12H Anniversary speakers
• Marshall 1987x with Marshall 1960AX / Celestion G12M Greenback speakers
UK & Europe: https://bit.ly/31eVWmc
USA That Pedal Shop: https://bit.ly/3v3Xazc
You can buy TPS merch to support our efforts https://www.thatpedalshowstore.com
We are on Patreon – crowdfunding for creatives