How To Use Echo & Delay Sounds On Guitar [In Your Band]
Published 26 Nov 2021
Don’t know where to start with delay? Try doubling, slapback, dotted 8th and more – with and without the band!
Life too short for long YouTube videos? See the ‘Interesting bits and go-to sections’ info below.
Welcome to the show! Here are some delay sounds to try even if you’re not in a band… but definitely if you are! Lots of people have been asking us what happens when you’re joined by bass and drums: what happens to those lovely delay textures in a band mix?
We’ll look at six approaches ranging for very short, to very long delays. We demonstrate doubling, slapback, multi-head, modulated, dotted 8th and looooong repeats to really help you dial those tones and spur ideas of your own.
Massive thanks to Dougie Mussard for being such a wonderful human and playing the tubs for us.
How did we record the band?
The drums are mic’d in the Glyn Johns method (Neumann TLM102 as the overheads), plus an extra snare mic (Beyerdynamic M201) underneath. The bass is DI’d via an Amped SVT DI (full bass rig below), the guitar cabs are mic’d as usual (with Austrian Audio OC18), plus our stereo room mics (AKGC414XL). There’s plenty of spill all around the mics in the room and we kinda love it.
Everything hits our UA Apollo interfaces for recording and I mixed it (Mick here) using Universal Audio Luna.
Enjoy the video!
Interesting bits and go-to sections…
0:00 Intro & playing
3:00 What are we doing today?
4:10 Today’s pedalboard
5:08 Sound 1 – 40ms Doubling Delay
6:45 40ms doubling delay with band
8:14 Sound 2 – 120ms Slapback Echo
12:07 120ms slapback echo with band
14:30 Sound 3 – FourHead Echorec Style Delay
18:43 Four head delay with band
20:55 Sound 4 – Mick’s Do-It-All 335ms
25:46: Mick’s Do-It-All 335ms with band
28:09 Sound 5 – Dotted 8th Delay
31:25 Dotted 8th Delay with band
34:25: Sound 6 – Really Long Delay
38:12 Really Long Delay with band
USA people: Have you seen That Pedal Shop yet? https://www.thatpedalshop.com/
Pedals & stuff used this episode…
• TheGigRig Three2One
• Sonic Research ST-200 Turbo Tuner
• Nobels ODR-1 Natural Overdrive
UK & Europe: https://bit.ly/3uQx29Q
• Boss BD-2w Blues Driver
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2DwcjzE
• Boss DD-200 Digital Delay
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2kyinR3
• Keeley Hydra Reverb & Tremolo
UK & Europe: https://bit.ly/3CMrgZo
• TheGigRig Humdinger
• TheGigRig G3
• Source Audio Spectrum Intelligent Filter
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/30Br91f
• Ampeg Scrambler Bass Overdrive
UK & Europe: https://bit.ly/3oSW8m1
• Ampeg Opto Bass Compressor
UK & Europe: https://bit.ly/3COtY0q
• Jam Pedals Ripply Fall (for chorus)
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2PoxKu0
• Ampeg SVT DI
No longer made
* Why do we have preferred retailer links? Find out here: http://www.thatpedalshow.com/partners
Guitars in this episode:
• Fender Custom Shop ’63 Telecaster – Dan’s video here: https://youtu.be/rnQ4OIJFTgY
• Gibson Custom True Historic 1957 Les Paul Goldtop Murphy Aged – no video yet
• Fender American Vintage ’62 Stratocaster – Mick’s video here: https://youtu.be/5sQUvWHXz74
• Epiphone Casino – Mick’s video here: https://youtu.be/ubwr6Owqp_E
• Gibson Memphis 1958 ES-335 – Mick’s video here: https://youtu.be/Ha82vk1wLyA
• Fender Player Precision Bass
UK & Europe: https://bit.ly/2CDn3xC
USA Sweetwater: https://imp.i114863.net/e4g96O
Amps in this episode
• Supro Black Magick 1x12 combo with standard speaker
USA: Sweetwater: https://imp.i114863.net/Vy2mqk
• Fender ’65 Deluxe Reverb reissue with standard speaker
USA Sweetwater: https://imp.i114863.net/a1rnaQ
• Wallace AC5075 XT/FV MKII with Zilla Custom 2x10 / Celestion Alnico Gold & Zilla Custom 1x12 / WGS12L
No longer made
We hope you enjoy this episode. Please subscribe to our channel.
You can buy TPS merch to support our efforts https://www.thatpedalshowstore.com
We are on Patreon – crowdfunding for creatives