Getting To Know The Orange OR15 Guitar Amp – That Pedal Show
Published on May 18, 2018
CORRECTION: Mick says Orange Music started in Charing Cross Road, London in the late 1960s.
It actually began in New Compton St in 1968 – Happy 50th Anniversary to Cliff Cooper and everyone at Orange!
In this video we plug in the Orange OR15 for the first time to see what we can learn. Dan has very limited experience of Orange amps; I have a little more – Mick here – but we’re essentially starting from scratch.
Even if you don’t have an OR15 there are some goodly amp basics in this video, for example the relationship between gain, master and headroom at 7:44 and delays used in the front or in the loop at 15:02. Full timings below…
Apart from all that, we use a selection of common gain types and a new pedal or two to get some tones going. We hope this kind of approach will encourage you to try stuff and raise some questions that will help you with this specific amp and indeed others that might share common features.
Now, we managed to avoid the 7-watt mode entirely. It wasn’t exactly intentional, although may be influenced by the fact that we tend not to use low power modes in any amps. Which doesn’t mean it doesn’t sound good - apologies for the omission. In 7-watt mode you simply get less headroom and more power amp overdrive at lower levels. It’s still plenty loud!
Please enjoy the video…
Pedals in this episode…
• TheGigRig Three2One
• Ibanez Tube Screamer Mini
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2dRVXa2
• Kingsley Page Boost
• Fulltone OCD V1.7
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2dhU2ro
• J Rockett Melody EQ/Drive
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2r4nl7r
• Walrus ARP-87 Delay
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2khFrA2
• Empress Reverb
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2wpXw6M
• TheGigRig G2
Why do we have preferred retailer links? Find out here: http://www.thatpedalshow.com/partners
Interesting bits and go-to sections…
- Intro playing, background and context: 00:00
- What are we doing today, and what is the Orange OR15? 1:30
- Let’s learn together, with Mick’s Guthrie tangent: 2:50
- What about the cab – it’s not Orange! 4:45
- Everything at 12 o’clock: 7:17
- The preamp gain and master volume relationship: 7:44
- …and the Les Paul? 9:00 (9:31)
- Not much headroom? 11:40
- And with the Strat? 13:20
- Are Orange amps better with humbuckers? 14:26
- Delay in the front, or in the loop? 15:02
- And with gain? 18:48
- Exactly as expected? 19:58
- We never use effects loops: why? 20:30
- Cleaning up off the guitar volume pot: 22:30
- And finally Dan is feeling it: 24:00
- Mick’s mid-1990s Orange memories: 27:00
- And a Silverface Twin tangent: 29:10
- Overdrive pedals and the OR15: 29:50
- Ibanez Tube Screamer Mini: 31:50 (33:55)
- And with more amp gain? 36:55
- Kingsley Page Tube Boost: 38:35
- Fulltone OCD v1.7: 42:00
- J Rockett Melody EQ/Drive: 47:15
- Summing up? 58:43
Guitars in this episode:
• Gibson Memphis 1958 ES-335 - http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electr...
• Fender Custom Shop 1963 Telecaster - watch Dan’s video at http://bit.ly/2dlZJ6K
• Gibson Custom - 1958 Les Paul Standard - watch Dan’s video at: http://bit.ly/2dbwbvS
• Fender American Vintage ’62 Stratocaster - watch Mick’s video at http://bit.ly/2cQv3yT
• Fender Custom Shop 1952 Telecaster – watch the video at https://youtu.be/qfLs2rAWYEU
Amps in this episode
• Orange OR15 Valve Head
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2GhNCV3
The cabinet used today is a Marshall 2061cx 2x12 with Celestion G12H Anniversary speakers
We hope you enjoy this video. Please subscribe to our channel.
You may even want to buy a T-shirt to support our efforts https://www.thatpedalshowstore.com
We are also on Patreon – crowdfunding for creatives
Please visit our preferred retailers!
UK & Europe: Andertons Music http://bit.ly/2cRvIvt
Australia: Pedal Empire http://bit.ly/2mWmJQf