Four Lollar P90 Pickups For The PRS McCarty Soapbar – Mick’s Vlog
Published 15 Sep 2020
I want to get this neck pickup a little lighter and more vintage sounding, so let’s try these four P90s…
Life too short for long YouTube videos? Please see the ‘Interesting bits and go-to sections’ information below.
Welcome to the vlog. This is the second part of a pickup swap in my 2002 PRS McCarty Soapbar.
I compare four Lollar P90s in the neck position and discuss my thoughts so far, not least the problems of testing in this way. Ahem.
The first part is here, and is worth watching to add some context to what’s happening in this episode: https://youtu.be/evxwmx9Yf2c
Q. This was about neck pickups, why did you spend so much time on the bridge?
A. To compare and contrast. The relationship between neck and bridge is fundamentally important.
Q. Why Lollars and not //insert pickup brand here//?
A. Answered at 1:28
Q. What is the signal path with the Tone King Imperial?
A. Guitar into Amp. On the lead channel. I really like this!
Q. What is the signal path in the loud bit with the Boogie power amp?
A. There’s a diagram at 16:59. I really, really, really, really like this.
Enjoy the episode!
Pedals & stuff in this episode…
• DanDrive Secret Machine
Contact Dan directly via Instagram
• Catalinbread Belle Epoch Deluxe
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2RVldeS
• Mythos Argo
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2UT0EVw
• Keeley D&M Drive
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2oTblU1
• Supro Tremolo
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2pZrAkZ
• Jam Pedals Ripply Fall
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2PoxKu0
• Kingsley Maiden D
• Kingsley Constable
• Kingsley Page DS
Free The Tone FT-2Y Flight Time
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2uCOem6
• The GigRig QuarterMaster QMX4
UK & Europe: https://bit.ly/339EG1C
Why do we have preferred retailer links? Find out here: http://www.thatpedalshow.com/partners
Interesting bits and go-to sections…
- Intro: 00:00
- New Lollar pickups: 01:28
- Les Paul and PRS playing: 02:57
- Thoughts on the PRS with the standard Lollars: 05:40
- Pickup change process: 07:15
- The four-pickup comparison: 08:02
- Difference between a staple and normal P90: 12:04
- Problems with this test: 13:16
- Aye aye, new amp?: 15:33
- And a crazy person’s pedalboard: 16:45
- Staple P90, loud: 17:38
- ’50s wind P90, loud: 21:15
- Final thoughts, Erm, so far: 24:10
Guitars in this episode:
• 2002 PRS McCarty Soapbar
• Gibson Custom True Historic ’57 Les Paul Goldtop, Murphy Aged
Amps in this episode
• Tone King Imperial MkII and 112 cab
• Mesa 50:50 Stereo Power amp driving 2 x 1x12 cabs with WGS12L speakers
We hope you enjoy this episode. Please subscribe to our channel.
You can buy TPS merch to support our efforts https://www.thatpedalshowstore.com
We are on Patreon – crowdfunding for creatives