Dream Overdrives: Timmy, Jan Ray & Amp11. And A Bit On Ethics
Published on Jul 22, 2016
In this video Daniel and Mick compare three superb overdrive pedals:
• Paul Cochrane Timmy Overdrive https://myspace.com/paulcaudio https://www.facebook.com/paul.cochran...
• Vemuram Jan Ray http://www.vemuram.com/janray-top.html
• Lovepedal Amp11 http://www.lovepedal.com/pedals/amp-e...
Paul Cochrane’s Timmy pedal has become a modern classic, much respected for its ability to go from near-transparent boost, through to very touch-sensitive and dynamic overdrive to suit a huge range of applications.
More recently the Vemuram Jan Ray appeared from Japan, some say inspired by (some say a copy of) the Timmy pedal.
The Amp 11 from Lovepedal is often mentioned in a similar breath as the Timmy, so that’s in there for good measure.
JUST TO BE CLEAR…
We ARE NOT saying that any of these pedals either is or is not a ‘copy’ of any of the others. And frankly, we’re not that interested.
We ARE saying that some people allege them to be so, which warrants the comparison and discussion in this video.
Interesting points of go-to bits:
• Background and context: first four minutes
• Amps today: 4:00
• Timmy explanation and demo: 5:30
• Jan Ray explanation and demo: 15:17
• Timmy & Jan Ray comparison: 18:00
• Amp11 explanation and demo/comparison with Timmy: 22:53
• Morals and ethics? 25:03
• Humbuckers and a P90 through all pedals: 32:15
Guitars used in this video:
Fender American Vintage ’62 Stratocaster
Fender Custom Shop ’63 Telecaster
Collings 290DC S
Gibson Custom 1958 Les Paul Standard
Todays amps are:
Hamstead Artist 20+RT with 1x12 Celestion Blue speaker
Fender ’65 Super Reverb reissue with 4x10 Jenson Alnico P10R
As always, all amp and pedal switching and routing is handled by TheGigRig G2 http://www.thegigrig.com/
Hope you enjoy this video - please subscribe to our channel!
If you like this stuff and want to support That Pedal Show, please buy a T-shirt https://www.thatpedalshowstore.com/