Do You Know What You're Hearing In Guitar Gear Demos? Mick's Vlog
Published 25 Feb 2021
You want to hear a specific piece of gear… but maybe everything else is having the bigger effect
Life too short for long videos? See the ‘Interesting bits and go-to sections’ information below.
Welcome! Yep, it’s a bit of an arresting question but it’s worth asking nonetheless. As somebody who has been involved with a great many gear demos from many sources over the years, I’m constantly astounded by the firm and didactic opinions people have on gear… based almost entirely on online demos.
Thusly, I’m here to remind you what you probably know already but maybe don’t want to hear again in that, yes, of course YouTube gear demos are useful… but they’re also overflowing with other variables that are having a radical effect on the sound you end up hearing.
Have a listen and let us know what you think – hands up who likes the Klon after this? Who doesn’t? Who’s got no idea now?
Enjoy the video!
Questions and comments arising…
Q: Dude! That’s not how I do it, I do //insert how you do it here//
A: Yes, that’s exactly the point. Repeat for every YouTube demoer out there
Q: Your mic/room/technique sounds awful. Something is broken
A: We’d don’t think it is, but for sure this is a terribly treble-sapping recording environment. In fact doing this audio has made me think it’s time to make a change or two. Maybe some new mics and some new reflective surfaces here and there. But again, that’s the point: the variable of the recording process and environment
Q: The only truly useful demo is when you employ good science, look at the scope and do a lot of maths and physics
A: Gerald, it’s time for your cocoa and bed now. Sweet dreams
Gear In This episode
• 1961 Fender Stratocaster
No longer made
• Gibson Custom True Historic 1957 Goldtop, Murphy Aged
No longer made
• Klon Centaur Professional Overdrive
Find Klons and Bill Finnegan on eBay. Maybe reverb.com too
• Fender ’65 Deluxe Reverb
UK & Europe: https://bit.ly/2G9OnFJ
• Marshall 1987x & 1960AX cab with Celestion G12M Greenback speakers
• Tone King Iron Man II 100-watt Reactive Power Attenuator
UK & Europe: https://bit.ly/3tmt5sq
• UAD Apollo 8p Interface (new X version with classic bundle listed)
UK & Europe: https://bit.ly/2ZK0mA4
• UAD Neve 1073 Preamp & EQ Plugin (cab mics)
• UAD Neve 1081 Classic Console EQ (room mics)
• UAD Studer A800 Multichannel Tape Recorder
• UAD Teletronix LA-2A Collection
• UAD Ocean Way Studios
Interesting bits and go-to sections
- Welcome & intro: 00:00
- Do you know what you’re hearing?: 00:49
- Two guitar rigs today: 01:11
- …and one pedal: 01:36
- Strat & Deluxe Reverb sounds: 02:26
- Les Paul & Marshall sounds: 05:38
- Post processing – 3 sounds: 09:45
- EQ decisions?: 10:37
- …and room mics?: 11:58
- Is post-processing cheating?: 13:10
- Can you hear what I’m hearing?: 14:00
- Room reverb change?: 14:33
- But how ‘would’ you do it?”: 15:50
- Do you like the Klon, or not?: 16:50
- Cross reference gear demos?: 17:44
TPS has never and will never take any money for gear demos or product placement.
We fund the show primarily by selling merch via https://www.thatpedalshowstore.com
If you buy something, you're helping to fund the show. Thank you!
We are on Patreon – crowdfunding for creatives