Different Approaches To Boost [Underdrive, EQ & Two Amps!]
Published 02 Dec 2022
Dan surprises Mick with three new ways to think about boosting your tone
Welcome to the show! Boost is an absolutely fundamental aspect of electric guitar tone. Whether you want to get louder or quieter; more distorted or less; whether you want to change EQ: you need to understand the concept of boost.
Now the usual approach is to add MORE. But as Dan demonstrates today, there are two other key ways to think about boost: it's unboost, basically. We explore that concept via volume level and EQ before getting to the fun bit: two amps!
Enjoy the show!
And please visit That Pedal Shop https://www.thatpedalshop.com/
Pedals used in this show
• The Gigrig Three2One
• Sonic Research ST-200 Turbo Tuner
• Walrus Audio 385 Overdrive
UK & Europe: https://bit.ly/3tD2Eks
• Keeley D&M Drive
UK & Europe: https://bit.ly/3ESje3L
• Electro Harmonic Memory Man 1100-TT
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2WbQLhG
• Carl Martin Headroom
• Lazy Bear Custom Volume Pot
• Hamstead Zenith
UK & Europe: https://bit.ly/3wXTG0B
• The Gigrig G3
Interesting Bits & Go-To Sections
1:19 Pedalboard reveal
2:05 Why are we doing this?
3:20 Boost One - Underdrive Underboost
8:00 Boost One with some extra overdrive
11:30 Boost Two - Reductive EQ
15:59 Boost Two with stacked ODs
18:30 A summary so far
20:55 Boost Three - Add Another Amp!
25:00 Switch the amps around?
32:30 Let’s turn the amps up a bit
Guitars in this video
• 1961 Fender Stratocaster - Mick’s video here: https://youtu.be/WOMHUQeHGRQ
• 1965 Fender Telecaster: https://youtu.be/EwBXaq72jQI
• PRS DGT - Mick’s video here: https://youtu.be/Smhjnr40Y78
Amps in this video
• Two Rock TS1 1x12 combo with TR1265B speaker
• Fender ’65 Deluxe Reverb with standard speaker
UK & Europe: https://bit.ly/2G9OnFJ
We hope you enjoy this episode. Please subscribe to our channel.
You can buy TPS merch to support our efforts https://www.thatpedalshowstore.com
We are on Patreon – crowdfunding for creatives