Chase Bliss Automatone Vs Best Of The Best [Klon, KOT, Fuzz Face & More]
Published 4 Sep 2020
Can the Automatone replace some of the best overdrive pedals of all time? We find out…
Life too short for long YouTube videos? Please see the ‘Interesting bits and go-to sections’ information below.
Welcome to the show. In this episode, Dan and I are putting the genre-defining Chase Bliss Automatone Preamp MkII up against a handful of our favourite ever overdrive, fuzz and boost pedals. We’ve never found a do-it-all overdrive yet that even comes close to actually doing it all, but by golly, Chase Bliss and Benson have done something extraordinary with the Automatone MkII.
Does it nail every sound exactly? Nope. Does it come close enough for you to be asking serious questions about all those drives on your board? Well, maybe…
Mick, how do you have your KOT configured?
Completely standard. It’s not the high-gain version, red side set to overdrive, yellow side set to boost, no extra treble on the internal trim pot.
What is that Les Paul?!
Gibson Custom True Historic ’57 Les Paul Goldtop, Tom Murphy aged. It belongs to my good friend Neville Marten, who has kindly loaned it to me for a while.
Enjoy the episode!
Pedals & stuff in this episode…
• TheGigRig Three2One
• Chase Bliss Automatone Preamp MkII
UK & Europe: https://bit.ly/311MdP7
• PigDog Dirty Mac
• Analog Man King Of Tone V4
• Ibanez TS808 Tube Screamer Keeley Mod (not true bypass) - Try the reissue
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2nOUIIO
• Klon Centaur Professional Overdrive - No longer made. Our fave current Klon-alikes include these…
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2Yw4baJ
• Jim Dunlop JHF1 Fuzz Face
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2AUTELD
• Providence DLY-4
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2RMtpjU
• TheGigRig G2
Why do we have preferred retailer links? Find out here: http://www.thatpedalshow.com/partners
Interesting bits and go-to sections…
- Intro playing: 00:00
- What are we doing today: 01:44
- OD pedal royalty: 03:00
- Treble booster intro: 03:52
- Treble booster tones: 05:12
- Treble booster / Automatone comparison: 7:48
- Treble booster clean up: 13:38
- King Of Tone intro: 15:00
- King Of Tone sounds: 17:11
- King Of Tone / Automatone comparison: 18:24
- Tube Screamer intro: 25:09
- Tube Screamer / Automatone comparison: 28:18
- Klon intro: 33:15
- Klon sounds: 35:18
- Klon / Automatone comparison: 37:00
- Fuzz Face intro: 43:49
- Fuzz Face sounds: 45:36
- Fuzz Face / Automatone comparison: 46:25
Guitars in this episode:
• 1965 Fender Telecaster - no video yet
• Fender American Vintage ’62 Stratocaster – Mick’s video at http://bit.ly/2cQv3yT
• Gibson Custom True Historic ’57 Les Paul Goldtop, Murphy Aged
Amps in this episode
• Matchless HC-30 with Matchless ESD 212 cabinet / Celestion G12M Greenback &
• Two Rock Classic Reverb Signature with Two-Rock 212 cabinet / TR 1265B speakers
We hope you enjoy this episode. Please subscribe to our channel.
You can buy TPS merch to support our efforts https://www.thatpedalshowstore.com
We are on Patreon – crowdfunding for creatives