Boss Super Overdrive Or Ibanez Tube Screamer? [In Your Band]
Published 3 Dec 2021
Two of the most-loved overdrive pedals of all time. How do they stand up in a band mix?
Life too short for long YouTube videos? Please see the ‘Interesting bits and go-to sections’ timings below.
Welcome to the show! Yes, one is green and one is yellow and some people think that’s the only difference between these two stalwarts of overdrive pedal history. As we find out in this video however, they can sound and feel quite different. Which one would you choose? Let’s find out…
Massive thanks to Dougie Mussard for being such a wonderful human and even better drummer.
How did we record the band?
The drums are mic’d in the Glyn Johns method (Neumann TLM102 as the overheads), plus an extra snare mic (Beyerdynamic M201) underneath. The bass is DI’d via an Ampeg SVT DI (full bass rig below), the guitar cabs are mic’d as usual (with Austrian Audio OC18), plus our stereo room mics (AKGC414XL). There’s plenty of spill all around the mics in the room.
Everything hits our UA Apollo interfaces for recording and I mixed it (Mick here) using Universal Audio Luna. I really do love the Neve Analog Summing, for what it's worth. :0)
Enjoy the video!
And please visit That Pedal Shop! https://www.thatpedalshop.com/
Interesting bits and go-to sections…
0:00 Intro playing
2:48 What are we doing today?
3:54 TS9 (and TS-808) & SD-1 intro
6:00 Today’s amps – here’s my clean tone!
8:32 SD-1 & TS9 compared, Tele & Les Paul
11:20 Maximum gain, both pedals
12:27 Guitar volume down a bit
14:48 Lower gain and Strat
18:13 Tele, SD-1, TS9, BD-2w & ODR-1
19:13 Closing thoughts before band
19:53 Band Jam 1
22:32 Band Jam 2
29:05 Band Jam 3
33:02 What have we learned?
Pedals & stuff used this episode…
• TheGigRig Three2One
• Sonic Research ST-200 Turbo Tuner
• Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2dvn8Xy
• Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive
UK & Europe: https://bit.ly/3EkUFv1
• Nobels ODR-1 Natural Overdrive
UK & Europe: https://bit.ly/3uQx29Q
• Boss BD-2w Blues Driver
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2DwcjzE
• Boss DD-200 Digital Delay
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2kyinR3
• Keeley Hydra Reverb & Tremolo
UK & Europe: https://bit.ly/3CMrgZo
• TheGigRig Humdinger
• TheGigRig G3
• Source Audio Spectrum Intelligent Filter
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/30Br91f
• Ampeg Scrambler Bass Overdrive
UK & Europe: https://bit.ly/3oSW8m1
• Ampeg Opto Bass Compressor
UK & Europe: https://bit.ly/3COtY0q
• Jam Pedals Ripply Fall (for chorus)
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2PoxKu0
• Ampeg SVT DI
No longer made
* Why do we have preferred retailer links? Find out here: http://www.thatpedalshow.com/partners
Guitars in this episode:
• 1964 Fender Telecaster - no video yet
• Gibson Custom True Historic 1957 Les Paul Goldtop Murphy Aged – no video yet
• Fender American Vintage ’62 Stratocaster – Mick’s video here: https://youtu.be/5sQUvWHXz74
• Gibson Memphis 1958 ES-335 – Mick’s video here: https://youtu.be/Ha82vk1wLyA
• Fender Player Precision Bass
UK & Europe: https://bit.ly/2CDn3xC
USA Sweetwater: https://imp.i114863.net/e4g96O
Amps in this episode
• Supro Black Magick 1x12 combo with standard speaker
USA: Sweetwater: https://imp.i114863.net/Vy2mqk
• Fender ’65 Deluxe Reverb reissue with standard speaker
USA Sweetwater: https://imp.i114863.net/a1rnaQ
• Wallace AC5075 XT/FV MKII (from the mid ’60s) with Zilla Custom 2x10 / Celestion Alnico Gold & Zilla Custom 1x12 / WGS12L
No longer made
We hope you enjoy this episode. Please subscribe to our channel.
You can buy TPS merch to support our efforts https://www.thatpedalshowstore.com
We are on Patreon – crowdfunding for creatives