Boss Dimension Effects: SDD-320 Rack, DC-2 & DC-2W – That Pedal Show
Published on Nov 23, 2018
In this episode we delve into the world of Boss’s much-loved Dimension series of effects. The Dimension D rack unit was released in 1979 and quickly became a staple of studio recording for its lush, thickening modulation effect. As it happens – Mick here – I’ve been listening to it on a lot of records I really love for decades, never knowing what it was…
Then one day in Germany earlier this year, we had the opportunity to try this original Dimension D, alongside the later DC-2 pedal format. It connected a lot of dots, and I’ve been hooked ever since. Dan too! And of course, Boss was gearing up for the launch of the DC-2W, which at the time of publishing is still pretty new.
PLEASE NOTE: Throughout this video, the rack unit is being hit with instrument level, the same as the pedals. As a result the effect is somewhat less than you'd get with line level, so it seems more subtle. Please take those comparisons with a pinch of salt.
It has raised the need to do a video on line and instrument level in the future - our apologies for the confusion. We thought about taking the video down, but that seems a bit extreme.
This episode compares them all and hopefully asks the relevant questions you might have. Enjoy!
Pedals used in this episode
• TheGigRig Three2One
• D’Addario Pedal Tuner
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2tIN4lD
• Wampler Pantheon
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2POI0eU
• Z Vex Box Of Rock
• Boss CE-2W Chorus
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2fkq9tv
• Free The Tone Tri-Avatar Multi-Dimensional Chorus
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2eKxYoF
• Boss DC-2 Dimension C
No longer made
• Boss DC-2W Dimension C
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2QITxIG
• Boss SDD-320 Dimension D
No longer made
• Dunlop EP-103 Echoplex
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2cQsuNc
• TheGigRig G2
Why do we have preferred retailer links? Find out here: http://www.thatpedalshow.com/partners
Interesting bits and go-to sections…
- Purple intro playing: 00:00
- What are we doing today? 0:55
- Rewind to Thomann, earlier this year… 2:05
- Dimension D&C. Eh? 2:54
- Today’s amps: 4:15
- Dimension and regular chorus comparison. And Slash?: 5:55 (8:00)
- The plane tangent: 6:50
- Chorus and Dimension explanation: 9:08
- Stevie Ray Vaughan and the Dimension D? 12:05
- DC-2 and DC-2W sound comparison: 15:34
- DC-2 - two settings at once? 17:45
- …and the DC-2W? 19:30
- Where are Red and Blue? 22:27
- Z Vex Box Of Rock and Dan’s Gretsch: 24:22 (25:46)
- Is the bypass / true bypass / buffer making a difference? 27:25
- Stereo? 28:25
- More on buffers and thoughts of Bryan Adams: 29:30
- …DC-2W: 29:58
- …DC-2: 31:19
- What about line level and the rack unit? 36:30
- …and with drive: 38:28
- Dan has schwang: 40:23
- Is Dimension similar to doubling, like the TC Mimiq? 44:20
- And what about Mick’s Free The Tone Tri-Avatar? 46:00
Guitars in this episode:
• Macmull S-Classic: https://www.macmull-guitars.com/s-cla...
• PRS Silver Sky: https://www.prsguitars.com/electrics/...
• Gretsch G6118T Players Edition Anniversary – watch Dan’s video at https://youtu.be/AZmX6rH0sqI
Amps in this episode
• Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III 1 x 12 combo
• Supro Black Magick 1 x 12 combo
We hope you enjoy this video. Please subscribe to our channel.
You may even want to buy a T-shirt to support our efforts https://www.thatpedalshowstore.com
We are also on Patreon – crowdfunding for creatives
Please visit our preferred retailers!
UK & Europe: Andertons Music http://bit.ly/2cRvIvt
Australia: Pedal Empire http://bit.ly/2mWmJQf