Best Spring Reverb Pedals? [Surfy Bear, White Whale, Light Pedal, Headroom, Ana Sounds]
Published 30 Dec 2022
Your amp doesn’t have reverb? Want real springs? Start here…
Welcome to the show! Dan and I just LOVE reverb. Pretty much any reverb as it happens, but especially real spring reverb. There are many, many digital pedals that can simulate springs, but for us it’s never quite there in sound or feel, certainly when compared with the real, analogue thing.
In this video we compare some of the leading reverb pedals that use genuine springs, firstly into the front of a clean Fender Super Reverb (once we've heard its reverb and turned it off), and later in the effects loop of a Two-Rock TS1.
Please note that we’re not covering any of the tube-driven spring reverb tanks today (Fender 6G15, Victoria Reverberato, Milkman, E-Verb Ebo etc), mainly because we don’t have any of them! Maybe that’s for another day.
Enjoy the show!
And please visit That Pedal Shop https://www.thatpedalshop.com/
Pedals and stuff in today’s video
• TheGigRig Three2One
• Sonic Research ST-200 Turbo Tuner
• Chase Bliss Audio Automatone Preamp MkII
UK & Europe: https://bit.ly/311MdP7
• Game Changer Audio Light Pedal
UK & Europe: https://bit.ly/3yZ5iQV
• Ana Sounds Element Reverb Tank & Pedal
• Surfy Industries SurfyBear Metal
• Crazy Tube Circuits White Whale
• Carl Martin HeadRoom
• TheGigRig QMX6
Interesting bits and go-to sections
0:00 Intro playing
2:00 What are we doing today?
4:15 Today’s amp #1
7:15 Carl Martin Headroom
11:15 Ana Sounds Element
16:27 Crazy Tube Circuits White Whale
19:56 GameChanger Light Pedal
24:00 Quick comparison of all
26:35 Surfy Bear
28:45 Favourite so far?
30:30 Let’s add some overdrive in the front
36:25 Overdriving amp & FX loop intro
38:30 Comparison of reverbs in FX loop
41:40 What do we think so far?
43:15 More on that buffer issue
44:40 More reverbs in FX loop comparison
49:48 Closing thoughts - what do we like?
Guitars in this video
• 1961 Fender Stratocaster - Mick’s video here: https://youtu.be/WOMHUQeHGRQ
• Fender Custom Shop ’63 Telecaster - Dan’s video here: https://youtu.be/rnQ4OIJFTgY
• Fender Classic Series Jazzmaster Lacquer - no video yet
• Gibson Custom True Historic ’57 Les Paul Goldtop, Murphy Aged - no video yet
Amps in this video
• Fender Super Reverb Reissue with 4x10 Jensen P10R speakers
• Two Rock TS1 50w 1x12 combo with TR1265B speaker
We hope you enjoy this episode. Please subscribe to our channel.
You can buy TPS merch to support our efforts https://www.thatpedalshowstore.com
We are on Patreon – crowdfunding for creatives