Automatone Rules Them All [Do You Need A Programmable OD Pedal?]
Published 31 Jul 2020
The Chase Bliss Automatone has changed everything in the programmable overdrive pedal market. So let’s have a look at it alongside some worthy alternatives
Life too short for long YouTube videos? Please see the ‘Interesting bits and go-to sections’ information below.
Fond greetings to you! In this video we’re looking at programmable overdrive pedals. Sure, this is just a tiny handful of what’s out there, but we’re doing it in the context of the new and exciting Chase Bliss Automatone Preamp MkII. And flipping heck does it sound good!
We talk about the main uses of a programmable OD, some practical considerations, and of course give all the pedals here a good play.
• Aren’t you selling the 335 Mick?
Maybe. This was recorded before I said I was selling it. I might just put it away for a while. Cheers!
• Why oh why oh why do you continue to ignore digital multi-FX and/or digital modelling amps, preamps and the like – surely they’re the best programmable overdrives anywhere?!
Erm, they’re just not our thing. We prefer the sound and feel of analogue pedals and valve amps. It’s just an opinion/personal preference so please don’t be offended.
Enjoy the episode!
Pedals & stuff in this episode…
• TheGigRig Three2One
• Sonic Research ST-200 Tuner (link for the ST 300 Mini)
• Chase Bliss Audio Automatone Preamp MkII
UK & Europe: https://bit.ly/311MdP7
• Boss SD-2 Dual Overdrive
No longer made
• Boss OD-200 Hybrid Drive
UK & Europe: https://bit.ly/3jWruor
• Chase Bliss Audio Brothers
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2pdrGGi
• Jackson Audio Golden Boy Transparent Overdrive
• Diamond Memory Lane Jr
• TheGigRig G2
* Why do we have preferred retailer links? Find out here: http://www.thatpedalshow.com/partners
Guitars in this episode
• 1965 Fender Telecaster
• 2017 Gibson Memphis 1958 ES-335 – Mick’s video at http://bit.ly/2mpJA8X
No longer made
Interesting bits and go-to sections…
- Intro playing: 00:00
- What are we doing today? 02:56
- Boss SD-2 Dual Overdrive: 07:00
- Boss OD-200: 10:25
- Do you want programmability?: 18:25
- Chase Bliss Audio Brothers: 20:24
- PC and CC MIDI: 23:50
Jackson Audio Golden Boy: 26:10
- Chase Bliss Audio Automatone: 33:15
- Automatone: what do we think?: 37:36
- Pre and post midrange control: 39:45
- What about price? 48:10
- How does the MIDI work? 50:50
Amps in this episode
• Supro Black Magick 1x12 combo
UK & Europe: (link for head version) https://bit.ly/3jXpj41
• Tone King Imperial MkII & 112 cab
UK & Europe: https://bit.ly/2Pe1abo
USA: Head: https://imp.i114863.net/0WZMY
We hope you enjoy this episode. Please subscribe to our channel.
You can buy TPS merch to support our efforts https://www.thatpedalshowstore.com
We are on Patreon – crowdfunding for creatives